This creamy tomato pasta sauce is the perfect sauce to bring together seasoned, tender chicken breast, fresh spinach, and perfectly cooked linguine pasta. This creamy, rich, and comforting pasta dish takes just 30 minutes. Serve with fluffy focaccia bread and this dish will become a new family favorite.
If you're in need of family dinner ideas, this creamy chicken tomato pasta should move to the top of your list.
This delicious pasta recipe features flavorful chicken, a creamy tomato sauce, and everyone's favorite – swirly long pasta.
See the recipe card for exact amounts.
- Start by cutting each chicken breast in half the long way so that you end up with two thin cutlets.
- Mix the flour with the spice mix. Season with kosher salt and ground black pepper. Coat each chicken cutlet in the flour mix.
- Heat a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Add a tablespoon of oil and add the chicken cutlets.
- Cook the chicken for about 5-6 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and cooked to an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C).
Remove the chicken to a plate and set aside.
Meanwhile, cook the pasta to al dente in a large pot of salted water. Before draining the pasta, save 1 cup of the cooking water.
- With the skillet still over medium heat add more oil and sauté the onions for 5-6 minutes until they soften and brown. Add the minced garlic and Italian seasoning and cook for a minute.
- Add water and crushed tomatoes, stir well, and cook until heated through.
- Stir in the heavy cream.
- Add the spinach and stir.
- Add the cooked pasta to the tomato sauce and stir to coat it.
- Add some of the reserved pasta water and stir to warm it through.
- Tuck the chicken in the pan and coat it in the red sauce.
To serve this chicken and pasta, plate a piece of chicken, followed by some pasta. Ladle any extra sauce over top. You can garnish with some grated Parmesan cheese and some fresh herbs like basil or parsley.
Tips for making Pasta and Chicken Skillet
What to serve with Chicken and Pasta
Store leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container. To reheat, either microwave or use a skillet on the stovetop. If the noodles have soaked up most of the sauce and the pasta is dry, add some water, milk, or cream while you reheat the noodles.
Yes, to make this sauce spicy add some red pepper flakes with the sauteing onions.
Yes, chicken thighs have a higher fat content and are a flavorful alternative to chicken breast in recipes.
Creamy Tomato Pasta
- ½ lb pasta (linguine)
For the chicken
- In a large flat bowl, mix together the flour, Italian seasoning, and salt and pepper, to taste.
- Coat the chicken in the seasoned flour.
- Heat oil in a large skillet, over medium to medium-high heat. Fry the chicken for 5-6 minutes per side. Remove to a clean plate.
- Boil the pasta to al dente. Reserve 1 cup of cooking water and drain pasta.
- Add the onion to the chicken pan. Cook for 5-6 minutes, until softening.
- Add Italian seasoning and garlic, and cook for about a minute, until fragrant.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and water. Bring to a boil then turn down and let simmer until the pasta is done.
- Add the cream to the tomato sauce and stir. Add the pasta to the sauce and stir. Add pasta water as needed. Settle the chicken into the tomato sauce to coat it and then serve.
Nutritional information is an estimate. Values vary based on products used.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a commission if you decide to purchase through my link, at no extra cost to you.
SHARE THIS RECIPE
Rating, commenting, and sharing my recipes really helps. Thanks for taking the time! Mention @pipercooksblog on Instagram.