4 ingredient roasted broccoli and carrots make the perfect, easy to put together weeknight side dish. Combine fresh broccoli and carrots with oil, Parmesan cheese, and red pepper flakes, and then season to perfection. Great as a side or in a roasted veggie bowl.
a delicious way to get more vegetables into your diet
Slightly charred broccoli and sweet roasted carrots that still have a bit of bite to them are where it's at for me. This recipe is one of the easiest ways to get tasty vegetables onto your dinner plate.
The combination of a bunch of fresh broccoli (cut into bite-sized pieces) and prepared carrots that are drizzled with olive oil, sprinkled with Parmesan cheese, and lightly dusted with red pepper flakes makes a really flavorful dish. Feel free to skip the red pepper flakes if you really don't like any amount of spice, but I think they're really nice here.
I could eat this roasted broccoli and carrots on my own, by the sheet pan, but they're also really great as a side dish. You could serve this in a grain bowl, as a side for Instant Pot Brown Rice, or with sun-dried tomato pasta.
Ingredients for this recipe
- Keeping it simple with just fresh broccoli and carrots, some olive oil for flavor, some Parmesan cheese for salty and savoriness, and some red pepper flakes for a touch of spice. Season with salt and pepper and that's it.
- A note on ingredients and calories: It is really easy to quickly up the calories in vegetable dishes like roasted broccoli and carrots by adding oil. The oil is the highest calorie single ingredient in this recipe. I'm fine with that because I like eating the healthy fats in olive oil. If you want a lower fat, lower calorie vegetable dish then cut this back by a lot or leave it out.
Don't want either the broccoli or carrots? Swap in another vegetable that you like. You could use cauliflower in place of the broccoli or the carrots. Green beans would be nice here. Root vegetables take a lot longer to cook so if you're into that check out my Roasted Vegetables recipe that uses two sheet pans and staggered cooking times.
EXPERT TIP: Line your baking sheet with aluminum foil for easier clean-up.
What to serve this recipe alongside
- Greek Lemon Potatoes
- Sesame Noodles
- Creamy Dill Chicken
- Instant Pot Bourbon Chicken
- Honey Bourbon Meatballs
Roasted Broccoli and Carrots
- 1 lb broccoli
- 1 lb carrots
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Optionally, line a baking sheet with aluminum foil for easier cleanup.
- Add the broccoli and carrots to a large mixing bowl. Drizzle oil on the vegetables and mix.
- Sprinkle the parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes over and mix again.
- Add vegetables to the sheet pan, spread them out and season them.
- Bake for about 25 minutes. Serve immediately.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a commission if you decide to purchase through my link, at no extra cost to you.
How to roast broccoli and carrots
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil for easier clean-up. (You can skip this if you prefer not to use aluminum foil.)
- Cut the broccoli florets into bite-sized pieces.
- In a large bowl, mix together the broccoli and carrots.
- Drizzle the olive oil over. Toss.
- Scatter the Parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes and toss again.
- Spread vegetables onto the sheet pan.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for about 25 minutes.
- Serve immediately. Store in the fridge for about 3 days.
See below for recipe video.
Roasted broccoli is a healthy and easy to make side dish. Broccoli contains vitamins suchs as C + K, minerals, protein and fiber. Broccoli also contains antioxidants