Fig and Goat Cheese Flatbread Pizza mixes together sweet, savory, spicy, and tangy flavors together in one deliciously hot and flavorful pizza. Take one of my favorite pizza shortcuts and use a prepared flatbread for the base.
Layer up the flatbread with sweet caramelized onions, fresh figs, mild mozzarella cheese, and tangy goat cheese. Top with chopped pistachios and a simple hot honey drizzle for an indulgent, slightly Mediterranean-inspired pizza.
This fig goat cheese pizza recipe is sweet and savory and a touch spicy if you add the hot honey drizzle and everything about it is satisfying. If you're looking for a fancy dinner idea, this is it.
This flatbread pizza with fig jam and goat cheese is giving 'date night' without costing a fortune. And for a date night at home, honestly, the prep couldn't be easier. You don't need to hunt down little specialty shops for ingredients. And these ingredients should be found in all large supermarkets.
This flatbread pizza is the perfect vegetarian dinner. If you'd rather have pizza dough instead of flatbread, try my Easy Pizza Dough recipe.
Does goat cheese go well on pizza?
Yes, goat cheese turns soft and creamy when heated and goes perfectly with figs on a flatbread pizza.
Do mozzarella and goat cheese go together?
Yes, mild mozzarella cheese goes well with the bold and tangy flavors of goat cheese.
See the recipe card for exact amounts.
- flatbread: Use any homemade or prepared flatbread. I use an Iranian-style yeasted flatbread called Barbari flatbread. It comes sized roughly 8 x 12 inches.
- caramelized onions: you can use storebought or homemade. Caramelized onions have a sweet flavor.
- fresh figs: figs are fresh here in Central Canada during the late summer.
- mozzarella cheese: I used freshly grated mozzarella, it's a mild and melty cheese.
- goat cheese: I always buy the Costco goat cheese, it's soft and creamy and super tangy, perfect to balance out sweet figs.
- pistachios: buy them pre-chopped or chop them yourself. Check below for substitutions.
- honey + sambal oelek: mix these two ingredients together to make a hot honey to drizzle over the baked flatbread pizza, giving it a slight spice.
- fresh oregano: I grow this in large quantities and use it everywhere I want fresh herbs.
- Don't like goat cheese? Skip it or add Parmesan cheese instead.
- Don't like oregano? Try arugula or basil leaves instead.
- No pistachios? Try walnuts.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C)
To make the hot honey, mix together the honey and sambal oelek. Set aside until needed.
Slice the figs.
Brush olive oil onto the flatbread. This adds flavor and helps the crust brown and get crispy.
Add the caramelized onions and spread them out.
Grate the mozzarella cheese onto the flatbread and then spread the sliced figs around.
Drop chunks of goat cheese on top. Bake for 10-15 minutes until the cheese is melted and slightly browned.
Cut the flatbread into about 8 pieces.
Drizzle on the hot honey and sprinkle on the chopped pistachios and oregano leaves. Serve hot.
RECIPE TIP: Hot honey adds a little spice. Feel free to skip it!
What to serve with Fig + Goat Cheese Flatbread
When I make pizza, I really like to serve it with something light and fresh on the side. My Spinach and Arugula Salad would go really well with this pizza for a fall dinner. For a takeout-at-home pizza night, serve this with my Cheesy Garlic Pull Apart Bread.
Tips for making Flatbread Pizza
- Choose toppings carefully: Make sure to use cooked toppings for this pizza because you're baking it at a medium temperature for only about 10-15 minutes. Usually, when I make pizza, I bake it in a hot oven, about 450°F, so this temperature is quite a bit lower.
- Oil the crust: I do this with my pizza crust too, always brush oil on the crust, especially around the edges where there is no sauce or very little sauce. This results in a flavorful crust that gets golden brown and crispy on the edges.
- Toppings: Use this idea to make flatbread in many different flavors. Try the traditional pizza sauce, cheese, and pepperoni for an easy weeknight shortcut pizza!
- Cheese: It always helps to grate your cheese fresh at home because storebought grated cheese can contain anti-caking ingredients which means that your cheese won't stick together but also means that sometimes it doesn't melt as nicely. Choose whichever one you prefer - pre-grated cheese is a time saver!
You'll just need a baking sheet for this recipe.
Flatbread pizza is best on the day it's made, but you can wrap leftovers in the fridge for a day or two. Reheat in the microwave.
More pizza recipes
If you're looking for another Mediterranean shortcut pizza, try my Mediterranean Naan pizza. For another pizza made on flatbread try my Mexcian Street Corn Flatbread Pizza recipe. And for real pizza with homemade pizza dough try my Potato Pizza with Crispy Chickpeas or my Thai Chicken Pizza with Peanut Sauce.
Flatbread pizza is a shortcut pizza dish, using typical pizza toppings on prepared flatbread instead of making pizza dough from scratch.
Pizza dough is a yeasted dough while flatbread is usually unleavened. The specific type of flatbread I'm using, Barbari, is made with yeast.
In central Canada, the harvest season for ripe figs is in late summer.
Fig and Goat Cheese Flatbread Pizza
- 1 prepared flatbread
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons caramelized onions (I used jarred onions, you can make them though)
- 5-6 figs (fresh)
- 3 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3 oz goat cheese
- 2 tablespoon pistachios (chopped, to garnish, optional)
For the hot honey
- 1 tablespoon liquid honey
- 1 teaspoon sambal oelek ( or sriracha hot sauce)
- fresh oregano leaves (to garnish, optional)
- Prep the flatbread: Add a drizzle of oil to the flatbread and spread it around with a pastry brush so that it covers the whole flatbread.
- Sprinkle a bit of salt and pepper.
- Add the caramelized onions and spread them around.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese evenly over the flatbread. Break little pieces of the goat cheese off and dot them around.
- Slice the figs and place around the flatbread.
- Bake: Bake the flatbread at 350°F (180°C) for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese has melted and browned slightly.
- Serve the flatbread pizza: Cut the flatbread into about 8 pieces.
- To garnish: Mix together the honey and sambal oelek. Drizzle over the pizza. Sprinkle over the pistachios. Sprinkle over fresh oregano.
Nutritional information is an estimate. Values vary based on products used.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a commission if you decide to purchase through my link, at no extra cost to you.
SHARE THIS RECIPE
Rating, commenting, and sharing my recipes really helps. Thanks for taking the time! Mention @pipercooksblog on Instagram.