Air-fryer grilled cheese sandwiches with sourdough bread and Havarti cheese are so easy to make and take only 5 minutes in the air-fryer! Great for a work-at-home lunch or part of dinner on busy nights.
This is the best sandwich recipe simply because of the nostalgia factor. It also only takes 4-5 minutes of cooking time so it's like a win-win. No frying pans, no peeking to check if it's done or burning. The air fryer's hot air will do all of the work and you will get the rewards.
The bread gets super golden brown and crispy while the cheese gets hot and melty. The perfect grilled cheese sandwich.
Prep time is super quick too, especially if you use cheese slices instead of grated cheese. I prefer to grate cheese myself than buy pre-grated cheese but this only adds another minute or two onto the prep time and it's worth the effort.
Serve this with tomato soup for a winning comfort food combo.
Love grilled cheese sandwiches? Try my other gourmet grilled cheese sandwich recipes like pizza grilled cheese, caprese grilled cheese, or vegetable grilled cheese, or feta and spinach grilled cheese.
Try an air fryer croissant sandwich with Havarti and pesto next!
See the recipe card for exact amounts.
- bread: my grocery store sells both sliced and unsliced versions of round sourdough loaves. I like the unsliced for this recipe because you can cut them a bit thicker if you want to. Use 2 slices of your favorite bread.
- cheese: I like Havarti in this recipe because it's a good melting cheese with a mild flavor.
- butter: I use butter to coat one side of the bread to help it get crispy.
- bread: use your favorite type of bread for this recipe. Choose from sourdough, white bread, French bread, a nice multigrain loaf, or rye bread. There are many choices here.
- cheese: I like Havarti if I'm feeling a milder sandwich, but my second choice is a super sharp cheddar cheese for a bolder flavor. You can use other types of cheese, just make sure it's a good melting cheese. Mozzarella, Gouda, Gruyere, Fontina, Swiss, Provolone, or Monterey Jack would be good, or a combination of different types of cheese.
- butter: you can use mayo or a cooking spray instead.
- Spread the butter on one side of each slice of bread.
- Place one slice of bread butter side down on the air fryer basket or tray. (Mine has trays).
- Add the cheese
- Top with the other slice of bread, butter side up.
- Add toothpicks if using.
- Air fry the sandwich for 2-3 minutes and then flip it. Air fry for another 2-3 minutes or until the cheese melts and the outside of the bread is golden brown.
Because the hot air in the air fryer moves so fast in such a small area, lighter slices of bread can fly around once they start cooking. To prevent this, try using toothpicks on each side of the bread slices to stick them to the slice beneath. Remember to remove them before eating the sandwich. Thicker heavier slices usually don't fly around in my air fryer.
Tips for making air fryer grilled cheese sandwiches
What to serve with grilled cheese
Serve this classic sandwich with tomato soup or minestrone soup for the perfect comfort food combo. You can also serve this sandwich with a side salad, garlic parmesan French fries, potato chips, or air fryer sweet potato wedges.
For more easy air fryer recipes browse my air fryer category.
Grilled cheese sandwiches are best eaten right away instead of stored for later.
Yes, you can use whatever bread you prefer for grilled cheese sandwiches.
Yes, you can use a different cheese but be sure to use a good melting cheese.
Air Fryer Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Instant Vortex Plus Air Fryer or similar
- 2 slices bread
- 2 oz shredded cheese (I use Havarti)
- 1 tablespoon butter (or mayo)
- Preheat the air fryer to 350°F (180°C ).
- Spread one side of each slice of bread with butter.
- Place a slice of bread butter side down on the air fryer tray or basket.
- Add the cheese and then top with the remaining slice of bread, butter side up.
- Use toothpicks to keep the sandwich together when using lighter bread slices. Remember to remove them before serving.
- Air fry the sandwich for 4-6 minutes, flipping halfway for even browning.
Nutritional information is an estimate. Values vary based on products used.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a commission if you decide to purchase through my link, at no extra cost to you.
SHARE THIS RECIPE
Rating, commenting, and sharing my recipes really helps. Thanks for taking the time! Mention @pipercooksblog on Instagram.