Feta and Spinach Grilled Cheese Sandwich | Get those gourmet grilled cheese vibes with this green and tangy, crispy, and melty grilled cheese sandwich recipe. Spinach and feta put a delicious twist on the traditional grilled cheese sandwich - the perfect quick lunch or easy dinner.
Gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches - perfect for a quick dinner
I love a good grilled cheese sandwich. Crispy, toasty buttery bread hugging melty cheese - that's my kind of easy comfort food.
Add spinach and feta and you've got a spanakopita grilled cheese sandwich.
Hi my name is Jacqueline and I'll take one of these every day for the rest of my life, please thanks bye.
If you've eaten and loved spanakopita, which a delectable little Greek dish with spinach and feta wrapped + baked in paper-thin flaky phyllo pastry, then you'll probably like this and it's easy energy.
And if you love grilled cheese sandwiches as much as I do, and also trying new things, this feta and spinach grilled cheese sandwich is for you.
Ingredients for this recipe
- Fresh spinach: It wouldn't be a spinach grilled cheese without this - but I would use fresh spinach. I haven't tried this with frozen spinach but it can be kind of soft and stringy so I probably wouldn't try it for this recipe.
- Feta cheese: Try just the mozzarella cheese if you dislike feta
- Bread: Besides the spinach and feta, you'll need bread (and mozza). Use your favorite bread. Sourdough would be good I think. Gluten free would work as long as it fries up crispy.
EXPERT TIP: Crumble your feta cheese a few minutes ahead of time and let it sit on a cutting board or paper towel to get rid of the excess moisture.
More Grilled Cheese Recipes
Feta and Spinach Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 2 slices bread
- 2 teaspoons butter (to spread)
- 1 large handful fresh spinach
- 3 tablespoons feta cheese
- sliced mozzarella
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Butter the bread.
- Heat a nonstick frying pan over medium heat.
- Add a handful of spinach to the frying pan and saute for a few minutes, until it softens. Once the spinach has reduced in size, add feta and give a quick stir, to start the feta melting. Remove and set in a bowl.
- Place one slice of bread, buttered side down in the frying pan. Add mozzarella cheese and then the spinach and feta mixture. Top with the other slice of bread, buttered side up.
- Cook for about 4-5 minutes on one side, or until browned. Flip and cook on the other side for 3-4 minutes, or until browned. Serve hot.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a commission if you decide to purchase through my link, at no extra cost to you.
How to make a grilled cheese sandwich with feta and spinach
- Chop the spinach, crumble the cheese, butter the bread.
- Saute the spinach for a few minutes. Add the feta to the pan and warm through.
- Place one slice of buttered bread, buttered side down, onto a frying pan over medium heat.
- Add Mozza, spinach, feta, and the second slice of bread, buttered side up.
- Fry for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
- Flip and fry for another 3-4 minutes, or until the second side is also golden brown.
To omit butter when making a grilled cheese sandwich, you can either spread the bread with mayo or spray or drizzle oil in your frying pan.
To make a grilled cheese sandwich more interesting or have gourmet grilled cheese energy try mixing up the fillings. Use pizza toppings, different meats, sauces, cheeses, and vegetables. To make a grilled cheese spicy add sriracha or chili paste like sambal oelek inside your sandwich. Try mixing a chili paste with mayonnaise for a spicy sauce to spread inside or outside your sandwich or even to dip in like ketchup.