Caprese Grilled Cheese Sandwich - The classic grilled cheese sandwich made with stringy, melty mozzarella cheese, fresh sweet tomatoes, and fresh basil leaves. A fun new twist on your favorite lunch sandwich.
Are you ready for something new and fantastic? Something that's based on a classic? I don't know about you, but I can be talked into a grilled cheese sandwich at pretty much any time of the day. Fairly easily. I mean, come on. Toasty bread, melty cheese? Uh, yes plz.
And how about if we add some fresh tomato and some basil? And some balsamic glaze on top instead of ketchup? UH, YES PLZ.
If you're all about a good sandwich, then you should try my Classic Egg Salad Sandwich Spread too. You won't regret either sandwich!
How to Make a Caprese Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Start off by prepping everything. So, slice the tomato and the Mozza, and get the bread, balsamic glaze, basil, salt, and pepper all close by. Ready a non-stick or cast iron frying pan.
Spread either butter or mayonnaise on one side of each slice of bread. Then stack the slices on top of each other, buttered sides together.
Layer on the mozzarella.
Add the tomato slices. Make sure to season the tomato with some salt and pepper here. Then add the basil leaves and more mozzarella.
Heat your frying pan over medium heat. When it’s hot, pick up the top slice of bread, with all the ingredients on it, and carefully place it in the pan, buttered side down. Stack the other slice on top, buttered side up. (I like this stacking method for making grilled cheese sandwiches when you’re making a lot of them – it saves so much counter or cutting board space by stacking them!)
Cook the sandwich for about four to five minutes on the first side, or until it’s crispy and brown. You can lift a corner of the sandwich with a spatula to check. When the first side is done, carefully flip the whole thing over. Cook on the remaining side for three to five minutes, or until crispy and brown.
Cut the sandwich in half if desired and serve with a little bit of balsamic glaze. You can either drizzle a bit on the sandwich or put some in a small condiment cup and dip your sandwich in, just like you would with ketchup! I like mine with some chips on the side also.
Questions About Making Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
What can I substitute in this recipe?
- You can use your favorite bread. I prefer sourdough but didn't have any on photo day for this recipe.
- You can also use mayo on the outside inside of butter.
Read below for more variations.
Caprese Grilled Cheese Sandwich Variations
- You could skip the basil leaves and add a tablespoon of pesto inside the sandwich instead.
- You can also use sandwich sliced mozzarella cheese for this recipe instead of a ball of mozzarella, for easier prep.
- You could also put balsamic glaze inside the sandwich before assembling and cooking it.
F. A. Q.
Try mayonnaise on the outside instead of butter.
Use a firm bread. Soft white bread doesn't work as well in my opinion. Go for a firmer bread like rye, sourdough or french.
Caprese Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 2 slices bread
- 1 tablespoon spreadable butter or mayo
- ½ Roma tomato (sliced)
- 6-8 leaves fresh basil
- ⅓ ball of mozzarella cheese (sliced or 2 sandwich slices)
- Slice the tomato and the cheese.
- Spread one side of each slice of bread with a bit of butter or mayonnaise.
- Stack the bread slices on top of each other, buttered sides together.
- Layer with some mozzarella and then the tomato slices. Season the tomato slices with salt and pepper. Add the basil leaves and then the rest of the mozzarella.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan or cast-iron frying pan over medium heat.
- Pick up the top layer of bread and then lay it down, buttered side down on the frying pan. Lay the remaining slice of bread on top of everything, buttered side up.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes, or until browned and crispy.
- Using a spatula, carefully flip the sandwich over and cook on the other side for 3-5 minutes, or until browned and crispy. Serve immediately with a drizzle or small condiment cup of balsamic glaze.
- Use mayonnaisse or butter for the bread slices.
- Use a ball of mozzarella or sandwich slices of mozzarella
- Use basil leaves or pesto.
- Use your favorite bread. I like sourdough.