Easy DIY Pumpkin Pie Spice Mix | Better than store-bought, this easy autumn inspired 5 minute spice mix is packed with flavor and requires only 5 spices.
It’s that time of year. We’ve started our home school studying. It’s chillier in the mornings. I had to wear a sweater out for a movie date last night. I crave soup. And pumpkin pie spice.
I wasn’t always a pumpkin pie fan, until I made my own a few years ago. Store bought pumpkin pie makes me want to cry - for lost opportunities and fake flavors. But I’ve always loved the warmth of the spice mixture. I’ll be sharing other fall recipes over the season, from dinner to dessert.
But before that, we’ll start at the beginning - with pumpkin pie spice mix. Better than store bought, and if you freshly grind your own nutmeg it really makes a difference. But you don’t need to. Just add all the spices together, whisk and store in an air-tight container. The beauty of this mix is than you can add more or less of the spices if you prefer. More cinnamon if you like. Less cloves, and so on.
So make up a batch and get ready to bake! I’ve included a small batch and bigger batch portions in the printable, so take your pick.
Why Make Homemade Spice Mixes?
So why would you make homemade spice mixes when it's so easy to just buy it from the store, ready made.
- it's actually cheaper in the long run
- flavors are better/fresher
- you can control which flavors you like
- no weird additives
- it's fun to make things from scratch
- you can give them as gifts
How to Make an Easy DIY Pumpkin Pie Spice Mix
Just whisk all of the spices together and seal in a container with a lid.
Good for about 6 months, but this one won't last that long.
DIY Pumpkin Pie Spice Mix
- Yield: About a tablespoon
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- Yield: About ¼ cup
- 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- Add all spice to bowl for either smaller or larger portion.
- Mix with whisk.
- Store in air tight container.