Chickpea Tomato + Cucumber Salad | Simple vegan and vegetarian salad with chickpeas, Roma tomatoes, cucumbers, red onion, lemon, fresh parsley, and your favorite seasoning mix. I like Za'atar seasoning mix. Try Greek Seasoning or Italian Seasoning instead for a different flavor.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a commission if you decide to purchase through my link, at no extra cost to you.
When I was in Florida over the winter, I found this cool little Mediterranean market with the words "Chez Jacqueline" over the door, which is my name, so of course I had to check it out.
Loved it. Bought some flatbreads, some really nice tahini, and a Za'atar seasoning mix that I think they make themselves. It was the first time I tried the seasoning mix and then sadly I lost it on the drive home! But it was great while it lasted. Especially in this Tomato and Cucumber Chickpea Salad.
Ingredients you need for this side dish
- chickpeas - canned is fine, it's what I use. Dried, cooked is fine too!
- diced tomatoes - Roma tomatoes are my favorite
- fresh parsley and lemon juice - this adds so much brightness and flavor to dishes, especially this chickpea salad
- your favorite seasoning mix - I like this with Za'atar seasoning, but I bet it would be good with Greek or Italian seasoning.
- Instead of dried seasoning mixes, you could try a blend of fresh herbs like cilantro, oregano, basil, and parsley. Even a little mint!
- If you're not worried about keeping this salad vegan, a little bit of feta cheese or fresh grated Parmesan would be really good.
- You can add a tablespoon or two of good olive oil also.
How to Make the salad
Drain and rinse the chickpeas if you're using canned chickpeas. If you're using dry chickpeas then soak and cook them as needed.
In a medium mixing bowl, mix together the lemon juice and seasoning mix. Add the chopped tomato, cucumber, onion and parlsey.
Taste and season with salt and pepper to your liking.
Add a tablespoon or two of olive oil if you like and serve immediately.
Store in the fridge for a day or two. The tomato and cucumber will make it a bit watery when stored.
Tips and Tricks
If you have one, try using your Instant Pot to cook dried beans.
Za'atar seasoning is a middle eastern spice mix which includes mainly thyme, sumac and sesame seeds. Other additional spices can vary.
Chickpea Salad with Tomato + Cucumber
- 1 19 oz can chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- 2-3 medium Roma tomatoes (diced)
- ½ large cucumber (seeds scraped, diced)
- 1-2 tablespoons chopped red onion
- 1 teaspoon your favorite seasoning mix (I use Za'atar)
- 1 large lemon (juiced)
- 1 bunch fresh parsley (to taste)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Mix lemon juice and seasoning together in a mixing bowl.
- Add chickpeas, tomato, cucumber, onion, and parsley. Taste, season and serve.