Chickpea Tomato + Cucumber Salad | This simple vegan and vegetarian salad combines the earthy flavor of chickpeas with the juiciness of ripe Roma tomatoes and the crispness of cucumbers. Tossed in lemon juice and Za'atar seasoning mix, this easy salad is perfect for a light lunch, side dish, or backyard cookout.
When I was in Florida one winter, I found this cool little Mediterranean market with the words "Chez Jacqueline" over the door, which is my name, so of course I had to check it out. This is where I first bought Za'atar seasoning and my obsession has continued.
What is Za'atar seasoning?
Za'atar seasoning is a Middle Eastern seasoning mix commonly consisting of oregano, thyme, sesame seeds, and sumac.
Can I use canned chickpeas?
Yes you can use canned chickpeas in chickpea salad just be sure to rinse them well. Rinsing canned chickpeas for use in salads is important because it helps cut down on the added starch and salt and helps to eliminate the briny and slightly metallic taste of the canning liquid.
Can I use cooked chickpeas?
Yes, cooked dry chickpeas are my preference over canned because they have a better texture and taste. I don't always have them made so I use canned chickpeas often, but when I do cook chickpeas (for hummus especially), I use my easy No Soak Instant Pot Chickpeas recipe. The chickpeas come out perfectly every time, so if you have an Instant Pot and love chickpeas try it out!
How to Make this Salad
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas if you're using canned chickpeas. If you're using dry chickpeas cook and cool them. Try my Instant Pot Chickpeas which do not require soaking ahead of time.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together the lemon juice and seasoning mix. Add the chopped tomato, cucumber, red onion, and parsley.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper to your liking. Serve.
- Store in the fridge for a day or two. The tomato and cucumber will make it a bit watery when stored so I recommend deseeding them if you want to keep this in the fridge.
Tips for Making Tomato Cucumber Chickpea Salad
What to serve with Chickpea Tomato Cucumber Salad
This salad keeps in the fridge for a day or two before the cucumber and tomato get a bit watery. To make it last longer, deseed the cucumber and tomato before mixing the salad.
Za'atar seasoning is a middle eastern spice mix that includes mainly thyme, sumac, and sesame seeds. Other additional spices can vary.
Chickpea Salad with Tomato + Cucumber
- Mix lemon juice and seasoning together in a mixing bowl.
- Add chickpeas, tomato, cucumber, onion, and parsley.
- Taste, season, and serve.
Nutritional information is an estimate. Values vary based on products used.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a commission if you decide to purchase through my link, at no extra cost to you.
This post was originally post Jul 7, 2020 and updated to provide clearer instructions and add nutritional information.
SHARE THIS RECIPE
Rating, commenting, and sharing my recipes really helps. Thanks for taking the time! Mention @pipercooksblog on Instagram.