Spicy Sriracha Popcorn - I love adding Sriracha hot sauce to my food and popcorn is no exception! Make your next movie night fantastic with this easy, spicy snack.
So, coming home to my cold little Canadian prairie province after a two month vacation in hot, sunny Florida and Mexico was a bit of a shock weather wise. I'm constantly freezing!
Staying inside and watching Netflix seems like the smartest thing to do. Right?
And one of my favorite new snacks right now is peanut butter and celery. LOVE it. But... it's really not fair to CRUNCH CRUNCH CRUNCH on celery when trying to watch tv with others. Enter, popcorn.
Oh hello popcorn, ilysm.
I have a nagging urge to make everything just a little bit... MORE. Kind of over the top. See my 10 Ingredient Avocado Toast. Drool over my 3 Layer Decadent Chocolate Cake. Swoon over my Loaded Greek Fries, or my Loaded Chili Fries.
Anyway, there are two main things I believe in when it comes to food.
- I like it homemade. Everything from scratch ("We can make it!" is my favorite saying.)
- It should taste good. Amazing. The best (We are putting the effort in to make it, so it should be damn good!)
This popcorn is homemade and guaranteed to satisfy your movie snack cravings. And you only need six ingredients. Three of the ingredients are things you probably have in your kitchen - butter, salt and pepper. All you need after that is popping corn, oil (I use coconut oil) and Sriracha sauce. I always have these things in my kitchen. If you don't though, it's only a couple of things to pick up.
How to Make Spicy Sriracha Popcorn
If you haven't made stove top popcorn before, don't be scared. Just watch your heat. I never put mine above medium.
Use a large sturdy pot with a thick bottom on it. Add a few tablespoons of coconut oil and three kernels of corn. Add the lid (I like my glass one so I can see what's going on.) Heat at about medium or so until the three kernels pop, and then quickly add the rest of the kernels and add the lid back on. I shake the pot quite often.
Cook until there's a few seconds between each pop, the remove the pot from the heat.
Melt the butter and coconut oil together. Mix in the desired amount of Sriracha. (The spicier the better for me!). Now, drizzle a bit of the mixture on the popcorn, sprinkle with salt and pepper, then toss it all, or use a wooden spoon the stir. Repeat until it's done.
Go watch a movie, cuddle up and enjoy your snack! This would also be perfect for a game day party.
What's your favorite popcorn topping?
Spicy Sriracha Popcorn
- To make the popcorn, add a tablespoon of coconut oil to a large, heavy bottomed pot with a lid on and heat over medium. Add three popcorn kernels.
- When the first three kernels pop, add in the rest of the kernels. Heat, shaking the pot often, until there are a few seconds between pops and all or most of the kernels have popped. Remove from heat and turn heat off.
- In the meantime, melt the butter and coconut oil together, then add the sriracha sauce and stir together. When the kernels are popped, drizzle with butter mixture, sprinkle with salt and pepper, then toss or stir to mix. Repeat until butter mixture is all gone.
Nutritional information is an estimate. Values vary based on products used.