Stove-top Popcorn with Nutritional Yeast | Make your own stove popped popcorn with these simple instructions - no special equipment - just a pot with a lid, a bit of coconut oil and some popcorn kernels.
Popcorn is my favorite snack. Unless you count chips. And cheese. Okay, popcorn is my favorite movie snack. It's just so good. Its another one of those things that I like to find different toppings for. I already have Sriracha Popcorn on my blog, try that one if you love Sriracha.
This popcorn is perfect for vegans if you leave out the butter and top it with just the coconut oil (which is really delicious) - because the other ingredients are just the coconut oil you cook it in, nutritional yeast (that magical little ingredient that adds kind of a cheesy taste for people who don't each cheese) and then salt and pepper. Perfect.
How to Make Stove Top Popcorn With Nutritional Yeast
If you haven’t made stove top popcorn before, watch your heat. I never put mine above medium.
Use a large sturdy pot with a thick bottom on it. Add a tablespoon of coconut oil and three kernels of corn. Add the lid (I like my glass one so I can see what’s going on.) Heat at about medium or so until the three kernels pop, and then quickly add the rest of the kernels and add the lid back on. Shake the pot quite often.
Cook until there’s a few seconds between each pop, then remove the pot from the heat.
Melt the butter and coconut oil together. (Sub in more coconut oil for the butter for a vegan version) Now, drizzle a bit of the mixture on the popcorn, sprinkle with salt and pepper and the nutritional yeast, then toss it all, or use a wooden spoon the stir. Repeat until it’s done.
Stove-top Popcorn with Nutritional Yeast
- ¼ cup un-popped corn kernels
- 1 tablespoon butter (melted)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Add a tablespoon of the coconut oil to a large heavy bottomed pot with a lid and add three corn kernels. Heat over medium.
- Melt the butter and other tablespoon coconut oil together in a microwave.
- Once the three kernels pop, add the rest of the kernels and replace the lid. Heat over medium, shaking the pot frequently until all or most kernels pop and there's a few seconds between pops.
- To top, drizzle the butter/oil combo on top a little at a time, shaking over salt and pepper and nutritional yeast, then shake and repeat until all toppings are used up. Serve immediately.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a commission if you decide to purchase through my link, at no extra cost to you.
Hi! I'm Jacqueline. I create the recipes here, photograph, and share them with you so you can feed your family delicious, fresh food.
I love to cook, read, sway in my hammock, take photos, and renovate my cabin. I drink coffee and red wine and I'm just as happy at my grill as I am with a whisk and mixing bowl.