Mexican Mule Tequila Cocktail | A Mexican inspired twist on the classic Moscow Mule cocktail, with Tequila Reposado in place of vodka. Add lime juice and ginger ale for a refreshing and delicious tequila cocktail. Use ginger beer in your Mexican Mules for more of a typical ginger flavor.
What is a Mexican Mule? A bold, zippy and refreshing tequila cocktail flavored with freshly squeezed lime juice and ginger beer, typically.
I have a hard time finding ginger beer so when I have to, I'll substitute with ginger ale. Ginger ale isn't typically used but it still has a nice ginger flavor, and you can skip the simple syrup if you want to because ginger ale is already sweet.
Whichever way you make this Mexican Mule, it's a refreshing cocktail, with a bright lime and ginger flavor - perfect for late summer evenings outdoors or a dinner party.
Mexican Mule vs Moscow Mule
So what's the difference between a Moscow Mule and a Mexican Mule? The difference is in the alcohol used.
A Moscow mule is made with vodka, ginger beer and lime and serve in copper mugs. A Mexican mule is a spin on a Moscow mule, using Tequila in place of the vodka.
For my Mexican Mule recipe, I also use ginger ale instead of ginger beer because it's more accessible for me but if you can find ginger beer, use that.
Use the table of contents below to jump to any section of this blog post. You can also use the jump to recipe link above to get right to the card.
Read more below about Mexican mule ingredients. See recipe card for exact amount.
- Tequila – This is the most important ingredient for this drink so use a Tequila that you like to drink. And use a Tequila Reposado, or aged tequila. Tequila Reposado is gold/amber in color, not clear. My favorite is Jose Cuervo, it's what I choose whether I'm at home in Canada during the summer or in Mexico during the winter.
- Simple Syrup – Simple syrup is a heated blend of sugar and water that is used primarily in cocktails to avoid grainy sugar textures. It takes only 5-10 minutes to make and all you need is sugar (and water). Follow my easy Simple Syrup recipe or use a store-bought simple syrup if you prefer. NOTE: You might find that this cocktail is sweet enough for you when using ginger ale, which is sweet already, so in that case omit the simple syrup. If you're using ginger beer, which is less sweet, you'll probably want to use the simple syrup. It just depends on if you like a sweet cocktails or not.
- Lime Juice – I use the little bottle of lime juice in my avocado toast every morning, but here is where I'll say you should try to use fresh lime if you can. Freshly squeezed lime juice will be zippier and fresher and you really can taste the difference.
- Ice – Use a bunch, this is a refreshing drink and should be very cold.
- Ginger ale – Usually I would use ginger beer, but it's kind of hard to find in my city so I use ginger ale. Feel free to skip the simple syrup if using ginger ale instead of ginger beer.
Watch the recipe video to see exactly how to make this Mexican Mule.
- Have ice prepared
- Wash and juice limes
- Cut a few slices of lime for garnish
- Prepare simple syrup if using
This cocktail recipe is really easy to make and it's meant to be bubbly so there's no need for a cocktail shaker - bonus!
Step 1. Choose your favorite short cocktail glass and add the tequila, freshly squeezed lime juice and the simply syrup, if using. Give it all a stir.
Step 2. Fill the glass with ice.
Step 3. Top with ginger beer or ginger ale.
Step 4. Garnish with a twist of lime, or a wedge of lime
RECIPE TIP: To make a twist of lime, cut a slice of lime and then cut through one side just to the middle, not all of the way through. Take each cut side and twist in opposite directions. Place the lime on top of the ice in the glass.
Use ginger beer instead of ginger ale if you can find it.
A Mexican mule is a mixed drink made with Tequila, lime juice and ginger beer. Substitute the ginger beer for ginger ale if you have a hard time finding ginger beer.
The difference is in the alcohol used. A Moscow mule is made with vodka, ginger beer and lime. A Mexican mule is a spin on a Moscow mule, using Tequila in place of the vodka.
I was in Mexico for these photos, but my favorite cocktail glasses are my blue Mexican blown glass cocktail glasses. I also use a shot glass that I got in Mexico, any shot glass will do.
More Cocktail recipes
Mexican Mule Tequila Cocktail
- 2 shots tequila (Tequila Resposado)
- ½ shot simple syrup
- 1 lime (juiced)
- 6 large ice cubes
- ginger beer or ginger ale
- Add tequila, simple syrup and lime juice to a cocktail glass and stir.
- Add ice.
- Top with ginger beer or ginger ale.
- Garnish with a twist of lime if desired and serve.
Nutritional information is an estimate. Values vary based on products used.Read our full Nutrition Disclaimer.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a commission if you decide to purchase through my link, at no extra cost to you.
SHARE THIS RECIPE
Rating, commenting, and sharing my recipes really helps. Thanks for taking the time! Mention @pipercooksblog on Instagram.
Save this image to your Cocktails board on Pinterest.