Triple Chocolate Pancakes - Make these fluffy and extra chocolate-y, piled high pancakes with maple syrup and fresh whipped cream - they're like dessert for breakfast.
These pancakes are like a chocolate cupcake in pancake form. Seriously good. Like dessert for breakfast.
My kids love dessert for breakfast... So does my husband. I am the only one without a sweets craving in my house.
So when I make these Triple Chocolate Pancakes, they pile theirs high and pour on the maple syrup and scoop on the whipped cream. I opt for just a scoop of fresh whipped cream and some Fluer de Sel, which I love with dark chocolate.
These pancakes are sweet enough on their own with the chocolate chips in the batter. For a less sweet version, try leaving the chocolate chips out.
I used Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa (which I actually have to buy across the border because I can never find it at home), because I love it. The Dark Chocolate Almond Milk, along with the chocolate chips help make these triple chocolate pancakes off the charts chocolate-y!
By all means, try some substitutions if you want to - subbing out the chocolate almond milk for your preference and trying a different cocoa powder. You might need less sugar with another cocoa powder, so play around with the recipe if you want to or don't have these exact ingredients.
How to Make Triple Chocolate Pancakes
Whisk the dry ingredients together in one bowl and mix the wet ingredients together in another bowl. Be sure to sift your cocoa so you don't get cocoa lumps in your butter.
Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and then mix them together, just enough to combine. Stir in the chocolate chips.
Heat a pan over medium/medium low and when it's heated use a ladle to pour out some pancake batter. I use a ¼ cup ladle. Let the pancakes cook on the first side for 2-3 minutes or until bubbles form and pop and the edges look cooked. Flip them and cook for about another minute or so, or until cooked.
Top them however you like - we love maple syrup and fresh whipped cream.
Triple Chocolate Pancakes
- 120 grams all-purpose flour (about 1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons granulated white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa
- 1 large egg
- 250 ml dark chocolate almond milk, (1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons butter (melted and cooled)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Sift in cocoa powder and mix.
- In a separate medium bowl, mix together the egg, almond milk, butter and vanilla.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix just until combined. Don’t overmix. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Heat an oiled cast iron pan over medium heat. Using a ¼ cup ladle or scoop, pour batter into pan. Cook for about 2 or 3 minutes, or until bubbles start to pop and edges look cooked. Carefully flip and cook for about one minute on the other side.
- Serve Immediately. Top with desired toppings, such as maple syrup, fleur de sel, or freshly whipped cream