Avocado Toast with Feta and Balsamic Glaze - A decadent, super satisfying, over-the-top Avocado toast, with spicy tangy chili paste, lime juice, fresh crumbled feta cheese, seeds, and balsamic glaze, for a filling and flavor packed breakfast that'll keep you going all day.
Avocado Toast for a filling breakfast
Do you eat something different every day? Or can you get into obsessive territory like me? I’ve been eating this avocado toast recipe for
months years. Before that, it was peanut butter toast with fried eggs & sriracha on top, and before that my Sweet Potato Skillet.
I am updating this post with new photos today, a video tutorial, and ingredient information, and I'm here to report that I still eat this avocado feta toast every week! Am I kinda strange? Maybe! But is my avocado toast recipe amazing? Yes! Try it!
This toast is:
- easy to make
- healthy-ish (healthier if you only use half an avocado)
- super delicious - spicy, tangy, tart, sweet, all the things!
- will keep you full. Like full full. Until dinner time.
This Avocado Toast with feta is a bit spicy from the sambal oelek - but you can use less or even omit it if you don't want a spicy breakfast.
What is Sambal Oelek?
Sambal Oelek is a chili paste made with vinegar and other ingredients for a tangy, spicy flavor.
What can be used instead of Sambal Oelek?
Sriracha is a good substitute for sambal oelek in this avocado toast recipe.
What else goes on avocado toast?
I load my avocado toast up. There are 10 ingredients here (including salt and pepper). But, you don’t have to use them all if you don’t want to.
If you don’t like feta, skip it or try soft goat cheese. Don’t have both seeds? Use whatever one you like. Try chia seeds.
You can add halved cherry tomatoes - I had avocado toast with tomato in Merida Mexico and it was fantastic. You can fry or poach an egg and have your avocado toast with egg. But this way is my favorite.
EXPERT TIP: How to open an avocado. Use a sharp know and cut the avocado lengthwise, around the pit. Twist each half in opposite directions to open. Discard the pit. If your avocado is very ripe you can just push the pit out of the flesh. If it's just ripened you can carefully tap a sharp knife into the pit. Twist to loosen the pit. Scoop the flesh out with a spoon.
How to make 10-ingredient Avocado Toast
- Toast your bread until it’s really crispy and toasty.
- In a bowl, mix a good squeeze of lime juice and a teaspoon or two of chili paste with your mashed avocado.
- Spread that on the toast and crack fresh salt and pepper over.
- Sprinkle on the pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds.
- Crumble on some feta cheese and drizzle the whole thing with balsamic glaze.
Try it out if you're an avocado lover! Pin it for later! See below for a video on how to make this Avocado Toast recipe.
How to tell if your avocado is ripe
EXPERT TIP: Your avocado should be tender soft but not mushy soft.
More recipes with avocado
- Avocado Bagel Sandwich
- Avocado Cilantro Lime Hummus
- Homemade Guacamole
- Baked Avocado Fries
- Avocado Cilantro Salad Dressing
Avocado Toast with Feta Cheese and Balsamic Glaze
- Toast your bread.
- Scoop avocado flesh into a bowl and mash. Add lime juice and chili paste. Mix. Spread onto the toast.
- Crack fresh salt and pepper onto toast. Add both types of seeds. Crumble feta cheese on top. Drizzle with balsamic glaze. Serve.
This post was originally posted on March 15, 2017. Updated March 29, 2021 to provide clearer recipe information, nutritional information, ingredient information and updated photography. The recipe has not changed.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a commission if you decide to purchase through my link, at no extra cost to you.
Note on Photography: I try to improve my photography with every photo I take. I like to update older posts with newer photos as I've done for this recipe. I've kept one of the old photos below to remind myself of the progress I've made over 4 years.