Breakfast Crunchwrap | You need this crispy sandwich wrap filled with all things deliciously breakfasty. A large tortilla encases a small crisp corn tortilla (tostada shell), smooth refried beans, perfectly scrambled eggs, melty cheese, fresh diced tomatoes, baked tater tots, and your choice of additional toppings. Fold the tasty pile of ingredients into a delicious star shape and fry it to crispy brown goodness.
Have you ever had a taco bell breakfast? I haven't eaten taco bell breakfast in quite some time. I think the last time I was at a taco bell was two years ago, but I promise you I make a mean crunch wrap.
My breakfast crunchwrap might not be exactly like the restaurant itself BUT we want to make our homemade food BETTER than a fast food restaurant right?
And how do we make our takeout at home better than the restaurant version? We start with delicious ingredients like scrambled eggs, cheese, and homemade tostada shells.
And while authentic taco bell breakfast crunchwraps include hash brown patties, I choose to use tater tots. Who doesn't love a good tater tot? I'll choose crispy little tots over a hash brown patty any day of the week. I'm more of a home fries lover than a hash brown lover though, so to each their own!
Use whichever potato shape you prefer, or whichever one is in your freezer right now because I just know you'll want to make this one right away!
Also, I choose to make vegetarian crunchwraps just because I don't eat a lot of meat, but you can for sure add bacon or sausage patties to your crunchwraps if you want to. Diced ham and ground sausage would be good here also. Just make sure to cook any meat separately first before adding it to the crunchwrap.
I think the typical taco bell sauce for this dish is a creamy jalapeno sauce. I just used a buffalo sauce, but my Avocado Cilantro Dressing would be creamy and dreamy in this wrap.
About the ingredients for this recipe.
See the recipe card below for exact amounts.
- Large Flour Tortillas - You'll need 5 large wraps for 4 crunchwraps. You'll use 4 of them whole for the wraps and then cut one into quarters for sealing the wraps. I've used both whole wheat and white wraps and they're both good.
- Tostada shells - A tostada shell is a bake or fried crispy corn tortilla. You can use storebought or homemade shells here. See below for how to make tostadas shells.
- Refried beans - Sometimes I use storebought, but most of the time I use homemade when it comes to refried beans.
- Scrambled eggs - I find one egg per person is good for this recipe
- Cheese - I use shredded cheddar, but a tex mex mix would be great.
- Tomatoes - I use cherry tomatoes, but you can dice a large tomato if you want. You can also use whatever other veggies you like here, like onions, bell peppers and mushrooms.
- Hot sauce or Salsa - This adds extra flavor and some spice to the wrap. I like hot sauce but if you want to make a sauce I reccomend my Avocado Cilantro Dressing - I love it in my Taco Salad.
Follow these easy instructions to make a breakfast crunchwrap.
How to make Tostada Shells
- Brush corn tortillas with oil. Set tortillas on a large sheet pan. Bake at 400°F (200°C) for 5-10 minutes or until crispy and golden like a tortilla chip.
What to prep for a breakfast crunchwrap
- Make or warm up refried beans.
- Scramble the eggs. I use one egg per crunchwrap. To scramble eggs: heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat and add a splash of oil. Crack 4 eggs in a bowl and mix with a fork. Season with salt and pepper and then add the eggs to the preheated frying pan. Let eggs start to set for a minute or so and then start pushing the edges of the eggs towards the center. Cook and stir the eggs until they are done. You can remove eggs from the pan a minute or so before they are done cooking, when they still look a bit moist as the heat from the pan will continue to cook them even after you turn the heat off.
- Shred the cheese and dice the tomato.
- Cut one large flour tortilla into quarters so that you end up with 4 rounded triangles. These pieces will help seal the crunchwrap for frying.
How to fill the breakfast wrap
Start with laying out the large tortilla. Add the baked corn tortilla (or storebought tostada shell). Spread the warmed refried beans on top of the corn tortilla.
Next, add the broken up tater tots, scrambled eggs, shredded cheese, tomatoes, and hot sauce if using.
How to fold a crunchwrap
Pace one of the tortilla quarters centered on top of the ingredients. This will help seal in all of the ingredients. Now start folding in the edges of the large tortilla, a little bit at a time, overlapping the folds. (See video above for demo)
How to Cook a Breakfast Wrap
Heat a frying pan over medium heat. I use a cast iron pan which retains heat really well. Once I add my crunchwrap to the pan, I turn the heat down a little so it doesn't burn. Monitor the heat on your frying pan - it's ok to have to turn the heat up and down. Fry the wrap on each side, until golden brown and crispy.
Heat the wrap seam side down first, as this seals the wrap and helps hold it together.
To make a vegan crunchwrap, swap the scrambled eggs for a scrambled tofu mix, use a vegan refried bean - either homemade or storebought and swap the cheddar cheese for a vegan cheese product.
To make a gluten-free crunch wrap, use a gluten-free large tortilla.
Make a spicy breakfast crunchwrap by adding either hot sauce, chopped jalapenos, or a hot salsa on top of the filling ingredients.
Take the recipe over the top, serve the crunchwrap with tater tots on the side, salsa, and sour cream, or yogurt for dipping.
Make it kid-friendly by keeping the ingredients basic, for example just eggs and cheese.
Not a wrap fan? Try this Avocado Bagel Breakfast Sandwich instead.
The only equipment you need for this recipe is a frying pan and stovetop. I like this Lodge Cast Iron Skillet for frying the crunchwwrap. This non-stick frying pan by Starfrit is one of my other favorite pans and I use it for scrambling eggs. It would also be good for frying the wrap.
Eggs tend to let off moisture when refrigerated so I'm not sure this would be great refrigerated. I make mine to order everytime I make them.
EXPERT TIP: Don't overfill the wrap with ingredients, it'll just make it harder to close and keep sealed both while you cook it and while you eat it.
More Restaurant Style Breakfast Recipes
- Avocado Bagel Sandwich
- Peanut Butter + Banana French Toast Rollups
- Eggnog French Toast
- Orange Ricotta Pancakes
- Avocado Toast
- If making homemade tostada shells, brush oil on 4 corn tortillas. Bake at 400°F (200°C) for 5-10 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy like a chip.
- Bake the tater tots, warm the beans, shred the cheese and slice the cherry tomatoes. Cut one large flour tortilla in half and then half again to yield quarters.
- To scramble the eggs, heat a frying pan over medium heat. Add oil. Whisk together 4 eggs in a small bowl. Pour the egg mixture into the pan and season with salt and pepper. Cook, pushing the eggs around the pan while they cook, about 3-4 minutes or until cooked to your preference.
- Lay out a large flour tortilla. Add a corn tortilla in the middle.
- Spread the corn tortilla with re-fried beans.
- Add the tater tots, eggs, hot sauce, cheese and tomatoes.
- Top with one of the tortilla quarters. Fold over the large flour tortilla, one section at a time until it's all folded over. It'll make a large circle or star kind of shape. (Watch the video to see.) Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Heat a frying pan over medium and add oil. Fry each crunchwrap for a few minutes on each side, until brown and crispy. Cut in half and serve.
Nutritional information is an estimate. Values vary based on products used.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a commission if you decide to purchase through my link, at no extra cost to you.
Be sure to cook any meat fully before adding to the crunchwrap.
If you are a vegetarian you can skip the meat in your crunchwrap. Add mushrooms or extra beans for a more filling meat-free wrap.
Save this image to your Breakfast board on Pinterest.