Enjoy the classic winter pairing of peppermint and chocolate in this easy recipe for a creamy, decadent holiday beverage. Add some alcohol to warm you up on these cold winter nights for an adult version of this Peppermint Hot Chocolate recipe.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a commission if you decide to purchase through my link, at no extra cost to you.
Creamy, chocolatey homemade peppermint hot cocoa is the perfect holiday drink
A powdery mix stirred into boiling water? Uh, no thanks, we don't know her. Not interested. We want a thick and creamy, chocolatey beverage that will make all of our Christmas dreams come true. Is that asking for too much? No. And I mean, 2020, you kind of owe us for… you know.
So gather up your ingredients and a small pot and we're going to whip up a luscious mixture for our after-dinner holiday drink. And the good news is there's more for you this year! So go ahead and add the coffee or peppermint liquor or even some bourbon and let's kiss 2020 goodbye.
Ingredients you need
Use semi-sweet chocolate if you prefer. A chopped chocolate bar also works in place of chocolate chips.
How to Make this Recipe
Combine the milk and cream in a medium pot. Heat over medium heat, stirring occasionally until it begins to steam and tiny bubbles break the surface.
Remove the pot from the heat and add the chocolate and the peppermint extract. Whisk until the chocolate melts and the mixture is smooth.
Serve as is or with whipped cream and chocolate shavings on top.
Add an ounce of your favorite alcohol to each mug before adding the whipped cream to make an extra special adult version of this hot chocolate recipe.
More Recipes Using Mint
- No Churn Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- Mint White Chocolate & Avocado Chia Pudding
- Mint Pinwheel Cookies
Tips and Tricks
- This recipe is easily scaled up or down.
- Make sure your milk is hot enough and your chocolate is chopped up and then just keep whisking until it all melts and comes together.
You can use chocolate chips or a chopped chocolate bar when making hot chocolate. I like dark chocolate but you can also use semi-sweet chocolate.
Peppermint Hot Chocolate
- 3 cups milk (2%)
- 1 cup cream (10%)
- 1 cup chocolate chips (50% dark chocolate)
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- whipped cream (optional, for serving)
- shaved chocolate (optional, for serving)
- Combine milk and cream in a medium pot and heat over medium heat until steaming.
- Remove from heat and add extract and chocolate.
- Whisk until smooth.
- Serve as is or top with whipped cream chocolate shavings.
Nutritional information is an estimate. Values vary based on products used.