BBQ Chicken Bites - Homemade, battered and fried chicken bites, smothered in my Maple Chipotle BBQ Sauce.
Have you made my Maple Chipotle BBQ Sauce yet? Because it's delicious. And you'll need it for these BBQ Chicken Bites!
These little battered and fried crispy chicken bites, covered in my smoky sweet BBQ sauce recipe makes for the best treat! We had these while we watched the superbowl game, and they were so good! Definitely not an every day thing, but I think "junk food" is healthier at home (actually I think everything is healthier made at home, from scratch, its why I blog here!) because you know what's going into a dish, and I also think deep frying once in a while isn't that terrible. If you agree, then you've GOT to try these!!
How to Make BBQ Chicken Bites
Cut up the chicken into bit sized pieces.
For the batter, you'll mix the dry ingredients together and then add enough bubbly water, until you have a really thick batter. Something thicker than pancake batter.
Then just dip each piece and fry them. I use a really large enameled cast iron dutch oven to fry these in, so my batches were pretty big, and I did three batches. You just want to cook these for about two or three minutes per side. If you use metal tongs, it's really easy to flip them. If you're unsure of how long it will take, just cut one open when you think it's cooked, and check. Then you'll know how long each one of yours will take.
I let mine drain on a baking rack. Excess oil dripped off and through the rack to paper towel underneath.
Gather all the cooked chicken pieces in a large bowl (I use a huge stainless steel bowl) and then pour the BBQ sauce on. Then toss to coat. (Or use a spatula or wooden spoon, if you prefer).
I like to serve them up with a homemade ranch style sauce, just to cool each bite a bit for those who want it.
These would be perfect with a large salad on the side, or in a "grain bowl" type meal. I just cook up some brown rice, some veg, and then line them all up in a bowl for a full meal. We LOVE making grain bowls.
BBQ Chicken Bites
- 2 large chicken breast, cut bite-sized
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¾-1 cup cold carbonated spring water
- ½ batch Maple Chipotle BBQ Sauce
- Oil, for frying
- Cut the chicken into bite sized chunks.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and salt. Pour in the bubbly water, starting with about ¾ cups and adding more as needed, to achieve a consistency a little thicker than pancake batter.
- Get the frying oil, or deep fryer, to about temperature (350 F - 375 F). I fried mine in a large cast iron dutch oven and fried in three batches. According your pot size, add a batch of the chicken pieces to the batter. Using tongs, take one out at a time, letting the excess drip off, and lower carefully into the oil. Let cook about 2-3 minutes per side, or until golden brown and chicken is cooked through (You can cut one open to test, then you'll know how long yours will need) Continue for all chicken pieces, placing cooked piece on a baking rack to let excess oil drain off.
- Place all chicken pieces in large bowl and cover with the BBQ sauce. Mix together by tossing or using a large spatula. Optional : serve with a ranch style dip.