Egg Drop Soup with Chicken and Corn | This Chinese inspired Soup is full of wispy little bits of egg, sweet corn, and chunks of chicken, topped with sliced green onions for a perfect meal served a scoop of rice.
One of my favorite parts of travelling is the food. I love seeing new places, finding new foods, and sparking new ideas.
On one of our trips to California last year, we watched the sunset at Carmel beach and had dinner in town after, three nights in a row. The sunset on the beach was beautiful and the food at Tommy's Wok was incredible.
This soup is inspired by one we had ordered several times during those few days. It’s an egg drop soup with wispy little egg bits, the slight tang of rice vinegar, nutty sesame oil, chunks of chicken and some sweet corn. I thicken it with some cornstarch also and serve with a bit of rice and sliced green onions.
About the ingredients for this recipe. See the recipe card below for exact amounts.
- chicken - I use boneless skinless chicken breast for this soup and chop it into small, bite-sized pieces
- chicken stock - This is the main liquid for the soup so use your favorite stock
- corn - I use canned creamed corn for this recipe, it gives a creaminess and sweetness to the soup
- eggs - Eggs make this soup amazing, and there's a trick to getting perfect wispy bits throughout your soup. Read the instructions for the tip.
- corn starch - You'll make a cornstarch slurry to thicken the soup
- rice vinegar and sesame oil - these both give amazing flavor to this soup, don't skip them
- Green onions - I garnish with green onions, it gives a nice freshness to the soup.
How to Make Egg Drop Soup
Start with a large pot and heat some oil over medium.
Add the chicken and cook it. Add the corn and the stock and bring the stock to a boil, then simmer for 5 minutes.
Add the rice wine vinegar and the cornstarch slurry. Simmer 2-3 minutes, until thickened.
To get soft, wispy little egg bits, whisk the eggs in a small bowl. Stir the soup and either pour the eggs in slowly or pour over a fork until done.
Turn off the heat and stir in the sesame oil.
Serve with white rice and chopped green onions.
Egg Drop Soup
- 2 large bonesless skinless chicken breast (cut in small cubes)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 can creamed corn (14 oz)
- ½ tablespoon rice wine vinegar (or dry sherry)
- 2 tablespoons corn starch (dissolved in 3 tablespoons water)
- 2 large eggs (beaten)
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 green onions (sliced)
- Cooked rice (optional, to serve)
- Fry chicken in a minimal amount of oil, just until cooked.
- Add the corn and stock, bring to boil then lower heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add the rice wine vinegar and the cornstarch slurry. Simmer to 2-3 minutes, until thickened.
- Stir soup slowly while drizzling in the beaten eggs.
- Turn off the heat, add the sesame oil and stir.
- Serve hot, over rice if desired and garnish with the green onions.
Nutritional information is an estimate. Values vary based on products used.Read our full Nutrition Disclaimer.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a commission if you decide to purchase through my link, at no extra cost to you.