This zucchini tomato + mozzarella bake is a delicious and easy-to-make dish that is perfect for a quick weeknight dinner or a weekend lunch. Made from scratch with fresh ingredients, this dish is a great way to use any extra zucchini and tomatoes you may have on hand.
Fresh garden zucchini and tomatoes become super juicy baked in the oven with melty mozzarella cheese and fresh oregano, under a crispy cover of toasty panko bread crumbs. This is the ultimate late summer side dish and a great way to use up a bunch of zucchini.
Just 6 or 7 ingredients and you'll throw together the most flavorful, satisfying, healthy, the most summer feeling side dish.
I love the health benefits of zucchini but it does need a bit of help in the flavor department. Pairing zucchini with juicy ripe tomatoes and fresh earthy oregano creates a great vegetarian side dish.
Plus, everything is better with cheese, I'll stand by that. And melty, cheese pull-y mozzarella along with the toasty buttery panko bread crumbs, bump up the comfort food factor in this dish.
See the recipe card for exact amounts.
Make this vegan by using a plant-based butter like I do and switching the Mozzarella for a plant-based cheese like plant-based Mozzarella or Parmesan style cheese.
- Slice the zucchini.
- Slice the tomatoes. A serrated knife can work better if your chef's knife isn't sharp enough.
- Layer the zucchini and tomato in a 9 x 12 baking dish. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle the fresh oregano evenly.
- Add half of the grated cheese in an even layer.
- Repeat the layering, making sure to season the zucchini and tomato with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle the rest of the cheese in an even layer.
- Pour the melted butter into a bowl with the breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, and Italian Seasoning.
- Mix well.
- Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the casserole in an even layer.
- Bake until the zucchini is soft and the bread crumbs are crispy and golden brown.
To serve the casserole plate a portion and season with salt and pepper if needed. Add some fresh oregano leaves or even some grated parmesan cheese.
Tips for making a Zucchini Bake
What to serve with Zucchini Tomato Casserole
I like to have this veggie bake just by itself for lunch. For a more filling dinner you can pair it with some Cheesy Bread, Focaccia Bread, or Garlic Bread. Add some more vegetables on the side like a Spinach and Arugula Salad, or Broccoli Crunch Salad.
Looking for more Zucchini Recipes? Try these:
Store leftovers in the fridge for 3-4 days. Reheat in the microwave or try an air fryer.
Sure, try yellow squash instead.
Yes, I like Roma tomatoes but try your favorite tomatoes.
Sure, Parmesan cheese would be a good substitution in this recipe. You could also try Asiago, Manchego, Gouda, or Pecorino Romano.
Zucchini, Tomato + Mozzarella Bake
- Preheat oven to 375℉ (190℃).
- Slice the zucchini and tomato. Slice the tomatoes a little thicker because they are softer.
- Layer the zucchini slices and tomato slices in the baking sheet. You'll do two layers.
- Season with salt and pepper and half the oregano. Add half of the cheese. Repeat with a second layer.
- Mix the bread crumbs with the melted butter, salt and pepper, and Italian seasoning. Spread on top of the casserole.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes, until the bread crumbs and golden and toasty, and the zucchini is soft. You can check the zucchini for softness with a fork. Serve hot.
Nutritional information is an estimate. Values vary based on products used.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a commission if you decide to purchase through my link, at no extra cost to you.
SHARE THIS RECIPE
Rating, commenting, and sharing my recipes really helps. Thanks for taking the time! Mention @pipercooksblog on Instagram.