Air Fryer Avocado Fries - These baked avocado fries are crispy on the outside and creamy on the inside and make a great snack for game day or an appetizer for a dinner party. In this easy air fryer recipe, avocado wedges are coated in seasoned Panko breadcrumbs with Parmesan cheese and air-fried until golden brown. Oven method included.
If you're an avocado lover like me you'll love these crispy air fryer avocado fries. The avocado really stands out in this recipe - it's the star ingredient. As the #1 avocado fan, who eats my best ever Avocado Toast with Feta at least once (ok, three times) every week, I think that if you love the rich taste and buttery texture of avocado, you'll like this fun avocado recipe.
Air Fryer vs. Oven for Avocado Fries
The thing that makes air fryers so great is that they are mini convection ovens but because the temperature and air circulation are condensed due to the more compact space they cook faster and more efficiently than a traditional oven.
Hot air blows around in the air fryer for fast and even cooking. Air fryer baking trays usually have holes in the bottom to allow the hot air to whip around the food from all directions, usually without flipping the food over.
This leads to a crispy all-over coating similar to the results of deep frying but without all of the oil.
And that's why people like them. Air fryers:
- cook faster
- cook more evenly
- make the exterior of food super crispy
- use less oil, which can contribute to healthier food
- take up little counter room
- make baking in the summer easier without having to turn the oven on which can heat up a room
Can I bake these in the oven?
Don't have an air fryer? That's perfectly fine because once upon a time when I first created this recipe back in 2018, I didn't have an air fryer either.
Here are some tips on how I mimic air frying using an oven to make these avocado fries.
- Preheat the oven - this is important because you want that hot heat to start cooking these right away
- Use a convection setting if you have it.
- Line a baking sheet with a cooling rack.
- Place the breaded wedges in a single layer on the cooling rack, giving each wedge plenty of room to prevent them from steaming.
- Spray with cooking oil to help crisp up the bread crumbs even more.
- Use Panko breadcrumbs, they are lighter and have a crispier texture to begin with.
Are Avocado Fries Healthy?
Avocados contain healthy fats which help you stay full longer. Avocados are also high in fiber and rich in vitamins and minerals.
How to choose a ripe avocado
A ripe avocado will yield slightly to firm, gentle pressure.
The brighter the skin on an avocados usually means the more unripe it is.
Avocados with darker green skins to almost black are more ripe.
Choose one not too ripe as you want a firm avocado for this recipe.
See the recipe card for exact amounts.
First, set up a breading station.
- In a small bowl, whisk an egg with a splash of water.
- In another bowl, mix together the flour and spices.
- And in a third bowl mix the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, and parsley.
- Cut the avocado in half. Discard the pit.
- Place the avocado on a cutting board and slice each avocado half into 3-4 wedges.
- Peel the avocado wedge.
TIP: I find the best way cut avocados into wedges, is to use a very sharp knife and slice the wedges first and then peel off the thin slice of peel.
This is easier than trying to peel the whole avocado first, especially if it's a softer avocado.
And it's neater than scooping the avocado out of the peel with a spoon.
Do what you're comfortable with!
Now, for breading, keep one hand for wet and one for dry.
- Dip a slice of avocado into the flour and then tap off the excess.
- Next, dip it in the egg mixture and let the excess drip off.
- Finally, coat it in the panko mixture.
- Set the breaded slices of avocado on a baking sheet or air fryer basket.
Repeat will all of the wedges, placing them in a single layer.
For oven baking, you can place the wedges on top of a cooling rack which has been set on a cookie sheet, I bake them this way when I'm using the oven so that the hot air circulates around them as they bake, making them crispy all over.
Spray the wedges with cooking spray for an extra crispy coating.
Bake the avocado wedges, flipping halfway. This takes:
- 20 minutes in the oven and only
- 6 minutes in the air fryer
Serve with your favorite dipping sauce!
Tips for making Avocado Fries
What to serve with Crispy Avocado Fries
Looking for something to dip them into? Try my honey dill sauce recipe, the best homemade ranch dressing, or some Honey Sriracha Sauce. The dip in the photographs is a mix of mayo, Greek yogurt, and Sriracha hot sauce.
Store leftover avocado fries in the fridge for 2-3 days. Reheat at 350°F (175°C) for about 3 minutes or until heated through.
Freeze cooked avocado fries in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight and then reheat in the air fryer.
Avocado fries are baked avocado slices that are coated in breadcrumbs. Bake the breaded slices gives a nice contrast of textures: soft and buttery inside, and crunchy on the outside.
Avocado fries are made of avocado wedges that are breaded and then baked or air fried until the outside is crispy and inside is creamy.
A medium avocado contains about 240 calories, 22 grams of fat, 13 grams of carbohydrates, 10 grams of fiber, and 3 grams of protein.
Air Fryer Avocado Fries
- Instant Vortex Plus Air Fryer or other Air Fryer
To Air Fry
- Set the Air fryer to 400℉ (200℃). Preheat as called for by your Air fryer's instructions.
- Cut each avocado in half and then slice each half in 3-4 wedges, depending on the size of your avocado.
- Ready the breading station. In one bowl mix the egg with a splash of water. In a second bowl mix the flour and spices. In a third bowl mix the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, and parsley.
- Designate one hand as your dry hand and one as wet. Coat each avocado wedge with the flour, then the egg, and finish with the bread crumbs.
- Place the breaded avocado strips in a single layer on the air fryer baking sheet or for oven baking on top of a baking rack that is on top of a cookie sheet.
- Spray with cooking oil for an extra crispy coating.
- Bake for 8 minutes, flipping half way if necessary.
To Oven Bake
- Preheat oven to 400℉ (200℃).
- Follow the steps above for slicing and breading the avocado.
- Bake the breaded wedges for 20 minutes, flipping halfway.
Nutritional information is an estimate. Values vary based on products used.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a commission if you decide to purchase through my link, at no extra cost to you.
This post was originally posted on August 23, 2018.
SHARE THIS RECIPE
Rating, commenting, and sharing my recipes really helps. Thanks for taking the time! Mention @pipercooksblog on Instagram.