Stove Top Chicken and Rice - Quick, one pot, stove top, chicken and rice dinner. Similar to chicken pot pie flavors, using brown rice instead of potatoes.
Do you ever have one of "those weeks"? I just finished one. At the end of it all, and with a bit of perspective, I can admit it wasn't so bad. I moved. Not so bad, right? But big changes kind of freak me out. Still, things could be worse. I know someone who is going through MUCH worse. And he's hanging in there. I should be a bit braver, a bit stronger.
I'd cook up a big pot of this Stove Top Chicken & Rice and just feel the comfort of it, but I moved out to my cabin and I don't have running water! haha. So we're heading out of town for a few days instead.
But you should cook up a big pot of this super easy one pot stove top chicken & rice. I'm going to head out of town and hope to make it when I get back home!
How to Make Stove Top Chicken and Rice
I make mine in a large enameled cast iron dutch oven. Whatever you use, make sure you have enough room.
Heat the oil and cook up the onions. Do the same with the celery and onion and then the chicken.
Add the spices, rice, flour and garlic, and cook it up for a minute or so. Until you don't see any raw flour and the garlic is fragrant. Then just add the broth, bring to a boil, and then lower heat again to a simmer. Add the lid and cook until the rice is done. I used brown jasmine and it takes 20 - 25. If you use white rice, check it sooner. The dish is done when the rice is done. Serve it up nice and hot with some fresh crusty bread!
Stove Top Chicken and Rice
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion (diced)
- 2 celery stalks (chopped)
- 227 g ½ lb cremini mushrooms (chopped)
- 2 chicken breasts (cut into bite sized pieces.)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup brown jasmine rice
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 900 ml chicken stock
- Heat oil and butter over medium high. Add onions and cook about 5 minutes, or until softened.
- Add the celery and mushrooms and cook another 3 minutes or so, until softening.
- Add the diced chicken and fry, stirring, about 6 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Add the spices, garlic, rice and flour. Cook one minutes or so.
- Add the broth and turn heat to high to bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, turn heat back down to medium low, simmer. Simmer about 20-25 minutes, until dish has thickened and rice is cooked through.
- Serve immediately.