Grilled Chicken Tacos | Quick & easy grilled chicken tacos with homemade taco seasoning, corn tortillas, grilled Mexican corn, queso blanco, pickled red onions and cilantro. Perfect easy dish for a backyard BBQ, summer party, or Mexican themed dinner party.
Yep, I'm definitely on a Mexican inspired food kick right now, big time. I just finished the series - the Taco Chronicles - on Netflix and let me tell you, nothing will make you want to get in the kitchen quicker, or dream about tacos a dozen different ways. Or maybe I'm just obsessed. Could be that.
These Quick and Easy Chicken Tacos help the craving though. And now I'm thinking about all different kinds of tacos. I might have to turn this into a regular "Taco Tuesday" series - especially when I'm back in Mexico this year! All those local ingredients - makes me want to be there right now!
I would have put avocado in here too, but they are so expensive right now! You can really dress your taco however you like though. Watching the Taco Chronicles I learned something about tacos and dressing them up. I always thought a taco should have:
- the protein/filling
- a slaw
- a salsa
And I mean, some of the authentic tacos did, but it wasn't a tried a true formula, so I don't know where I got that from. But, what's important, is that you can make your tacos however you want! Don't like slaw? (I think coleslaw is garbage) Use shredded lettuce. Use iceberg if you like it.
Some more tacos I want to try:
- boiled egg
- carne asada
- something with mole sauce
- chicken with salsa verde
- beans and cheese
What's your favorite taco? What will you make for your next Taco Tuesday?
How to Make Quick + Easy Chicken Tacos
For this taco, we'll do a simple three ingredient grilled chicken. Drizzle a couple of chicken breasts with some oil and then sprinkle on some Taco Seasoning (I prefer homemade - you use whatever you like) If you're having the Mexican Street Corn as part of the filling then refer to that post for the recipe and pour the lime juice on the corn now as well. Prep your other ingredients now too.
Some ideas for topping these chicken tacos:
- the corn
- lettuce if you like it
- pickled red onions
- cheese such as queso blanco, cotija, Monterrey Jack, cheddar
Let it sit for a few minutes while you preheat your grill.
Grill your chicken, about 9-10 minutes, flipping halfway or until 165°F internally. Grill the corn. have the sauce for it prepared.
Slice the chicken and cut the corn off the cob.
Now fill your taco with the chicken, corn (and some extra sauce) pickled red onions, cilantro, some extra cheese, or whatever else you like.
Easy Chicken Tacos
For the Chicken:
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon
- 1 teaspoon cooking oil
- salt and pepper to taste
For the Tacos:
- 6 corn tortillas
- Toppings: lettuce (corn (elote cut off the cob, plus extra sauce), pickled red onions, queso blanco or other cheese, cilantro, etc.)
For the Chicken:
- Coat the chicken in oil and then sprinkle with taco seasoning and salt and pepper. Roll around so it's completely and evenly coated. Let sit while you preheat the grill to medium.
- Refer to Mexican Street Corn recipe for the corn, saving some of the sauce for the tacos, or use another type of corn if you prefer. Prepare the rest of the toppings with whatever you like. I like bagged, shredded lettuce, pickled red onions, queso blanco (or other cheese and extra cilantro along with the grilled corn.)
- Grill the chicken over medium, for about 9-10 minutes, flipping once until 165°F internally.
- Let sit 10 minutes, then cut into slices.
For the Tacos:
- Spread the sauce down the middle of each tortilla. Lay a few slices of the chicken on top, then the corn, pickled red onions and some cilantro. Or use other toppings if you like.
- Serve immediately.