Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup | The best homemade chicken noodle soup made quick and easy and still tastes like the classic favorite you loved as a kid. If the debate is ever canned versus homemade, then homemade chicken noodle soup wins every single time. Make this quick and comforting version and be a winner at your dinner table.
Can you believe I waited until day 6 of September Soup Month to share this easy Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup? There are just so many delicious soups out there. Chicken Noodle Soup is probably one of the most classic and well-known soup recipes in this part of the world, maybe tied with Tomato Soup.
I created this recipe to be easy to shop for, with basic ingredients, and simple to make for beginners. But I also was careful to make sure it was packed with flavor. Your everyday items like stock, vegetables, and dried spices can take a dish from meh to over the top.
The flavor-boosting ingredients in this recipe include:
- chicken breast – you can use thighs if you prefer
- mirepoix – onions, carrots, and celery bring so much flavor when cooked
- stock – a good quality stock is priceless
- ground sage + thyme – spices, either ground or dried, always up your flavor game
- pasta noodles – the starch from the noodles helps thicken the stock
- salt and pepper – basic seasoning will help with every dish in your kitchen
How to Make Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
This soup is just so easy to make. Get out your big soup pot and heat some oil over medium. Add the onion, carrot, and celery and cook for 7-8 minutes, until they soften up a bit.
Add the diced up chicken and cook fully. Then add the garlic and cook for about 20-30 seconds.
Add the sage, thyme, stock, and noodles and bring it to a boil. Keep at a low boil until the noodles are cooked. Season with salt and pepper.
What kind of noodles should I use for chicken noodle soup?
Whatever ones you like. I like Gemelli, but you could use any small pasta shape, such as:
- rotelle (wheels)
- egg noodles
Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
- 2 chicken breasts (diced)
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 3 cups mirepoix (diced carrot, celery, + onion *see notes)
- 1 lb pasta noodles (454 grams)
- 8 cups chicken stock
- ½ teaspoon ground sage
- ½ teaspoon ground thyme
- salt and pepper
- Heat oil over medium heat. Add celery, carrot and onion mix. Cook for 7-8 minutes, until softening.
- Add chicken and cook fully.
- Add garlic, cook for about a minute.
- Add the stock, sage, thyme, and noodles. Cook for about 10-12 minutes, or until noodles are done. Season with salt and pepper, then serve.
- Use whatever pasta shape you like.
Nutritional information is an estimate. Values vary based on products used.
This soup recipe is part of my Best Homemade Soup Recipes Collection. Click below to view them all.