Curried Sweet Potato + Carrot Soup | Try this creamy, blended sweet potato and carrot soup, boldly flavored with curry, ginger, and cumin. Mellowed with a drizzle of honey and heavy cream. Made in one pot in less than 30 minutes, this comforting soup will warm up your fall and winter.
Ok, here it is, the last Homemade Soup recipe of this month's September Soup collection, and it's a good one. This Curried Sweet Potato + Carrot soup is sure to give you all the September feels. This particular recipe is the last in the series because it kind of goes hand in hand with the next recipe I'm going to share which is for Herby Bread Bowls. This thick and creamy soup is the perfect match for a bread bowl.
After that, I'll share a great collection of homemade soup from other bloggers, and a guide with tips and tricks on how to make homemade soup, any night of the week with what you've already got on hand. All you'll need is that trusty soup pot, a wooden spoon and some creativity with your ingredients.
Ingredients for this soup
As for ingredients, let's talk about what goes into this curried sweet potato and carrot soup, shall we?
- onions and garlic as a base flavor
- curry powder, ground ginger, and ground cumin to bring warmth
- sweet potatoes and carrots to blend up in a thick + satisfying soup
- good quality chicken stock
- cream and honey to mellow out the spices a bit
- salt and pepper to season to perfection
Um, yes, that sounds good to me! Aren't you excited to get into that? Read on for how to make it.
Also, here's a little recap with links so you can make the other soups I shared this month:
And for all of the soups on one page, check out my September Soup Collection page. Share this page on Pinterest for a hand link back to all of the soups! Save it to your Soup board so you'll have easy access to it.
How to Make Curried Sweet Potato + Carrot Soup
Heat your soup pot and add some cooking oil and then add the onions and cook for 7-8 minutes, until soft and translucent. Next, add the garlic and cook it only for about 20-30 seconds, while stirring so that it doesn't burn.
The next step is to add the spices and a little splash of stock so we can cook the spices for a minute or so. They'll taste better this way.
Add the potatoes and carrot, the rest of the stock and about ½ teaspoon of salt to season our cooking vegetables. Bring to a boil and then turn it down to a low boil, for about 15 minutes, or until both the potatoes and the carrots are fork-tender.
How to blend this soup
Now we blend. You probably guessed that I'm going to say I use my immersion blender for this and you'd be correct. It takes some time but is easier to wash than the stand blender, so that's what I use. You can use a stand blender if you want to and you will probably need to do this in batches. Make sure to take the little round insert out of your blender lid, or loosen it and then cover the hole with a tea towel that's been folded up a couple of times. And be careful! This is extremely hot liquid, we don't want any to burn themselves, so use caution and go slowly.
Return blended soup to low heat and add the cream and the drizzle of honey. Heat through for a minute or two, without boiling, and then serve.
Questions About Making Curried Sweet Potato + Carrot Soup
Is this soup vegetarian?
No, but if you switch the chicken for vegetable then it is. I just always buy chicken stock.
Got any shortcuts?
This soup is really pretty easy already, the ingredients list looks longer with the spices but it's really simple. To make it even easier, I use store-bought baby carrots. They're already a good size for boiling, they're peeled and nothing else matters because we're blending them anyway.
Curried Sweet Potato + Carrot Soup
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 small onions (roughly chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (roughly chopped)
- 2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 ½ - 3 lbs sweet potatoes - cubed (about 2 small white + 3 small orange sweet potatoes)
- ½ lb baby carrots
- 8 cups chicken stock ((or vegetable stock for a vegetarian soup))
- ¼ cup heavy cream (I use 18%)
- drizzle of honey
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Heat a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the oil and onions. Cook for 7-8 minutes, until softened and translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds, until fragrant and lightly browned, being careful not to burn.
- Add the spice and a splash of stock to cook the spices in. Cook for a minute or so.
- Add the potatoes and carrots and the stock as well as a ½ teaspoon of salt. Bring to boil and then sit at a low boil for 15 minutes or until the potatoes and carrots are fork-tender.
- Remove from heat and blend the soup. I use an immersion blender to do this. You could also use a stand blender, but be careful. Remove the top insert in the lid and cover it with a folded tea towel so the lid doesn't blow off from the hot pressure of the soup. Blend in batches.
- Return the blended soup to medium heat and add a drizzle of honey, the heavy cream and then season to taste. Heat through for a minute or two without boiling. Serve.
- To make this soup vegetarian switch out the chicken stock for vegetable stock. To make it vegan, do that and also leave out the honey and the heavy cream or use coconut milk and a pinch of coconut sugar or small drizzle of maple syrup.
- I use white sweet potatoes as well as orange. Use all orange if that's what you have.
This soup recipe is part of my Best Homemade Soup Recipes Collection. Click below to view them all.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a commission if you decide to purchase through my link, at no extra cost to you.
Hi! I'm Jacqueline. I create the recipes here, photograph, and share them with you so you can feed your family delicious, fresh food.
I love to cook, read, sway in my hammock, take photos, and renovate my cabin. I drink coffee and red wine and I'm just as happy at my grill as I am with a whisk and mixing bowl.