Curried Sweet Potato + Carrot Soup
Try this creamy, blended sweet potato and carrot soup, boldly flavored with curry, ginger, and cumin. Mellowed with a drizzle of honey and heavy cream. Made in one pot in less than 30 minutes, this comforting soup will warm up your fall and winter.
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 small onions roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 ½ - 3 lbs sweet potatoes - cubed about 2 small white + 3 small orange sweet potatoes
- ½ lb baby carrots
- 8 cups chicken stock (or vegetable stock for a vegetarian soup)
- ¼ cup heavy cream I use 18%
- drizzle of honey
- salt and pepper to taste
Heat a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the oil and onions. Cook for 7-8 minutes, until softened and translucent.
Add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds, until fragrant and lightly browned, being careful not to burn.
Add the spice and a splash of stock to cook the spices in. Cook for a minute or so.
Add the potatoes and carrots and the stock as well as a ½ teaspoon of salt. Bring to boil and then sit at a low boil for 15 minutes or until the potatoes and carrots are fork-tender.
Remove from heat and blend the soup. I use an immersion blender to do this. You could also use a stand blender, but be careful. Remove the top insert in the lid and cover it with a folded tea towel so the lid doesn't blow off from the hot pressure of the soup. Blend in batches.
Return the blended soup to medium heat and add a drizzle of honey, the heavy cream and then season to taste. Heat through for a minute or two without boiling. Serve.
- To make this soup vegetarian switch out the chicken stock for vegetable stock. To make it vegan, do that and also leave out the honey and the heavy cream or use coconut milk and a pinch of coconut sugar or small drizzle of maple syrup.
- I use white sweet potatoes as well as orange. Use all orange if that's what you have.