Thai Green Curry Soup with Shrimp
Thai Green Curry Soup with Shrimp | Coconut milk and green Thai curry paste make up the base for this flavorful soup, along with lemongrass, ginger and lime leaves. Fill it in with baby corn, bamboo shoots, tender shrimp and a side of rice for the perfect takeout dinner at home.
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- ½ large onion diced
- ½ inch ginger grated
- 1 ½ tablespoons lemongrass paste
- 3 tablespoons Thai green curry paste see notes
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 6 Kaffir lime leaves
- 150 grams raw shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 550 ml can bamboo shoots drained
- 1 400 ml can baby corn drained
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cans coconut milk
- rice to serve, optional
- cilantro to serve, optional
Heat a large pot over medium. Add oil, then onions. Cook for 4-5 minutes, until starting to soften.
Add ginger, lemongrass paste, curry paste, and 2 tablespoons of the cream from the coconut milk.
Cook for a few minutes, until the cooked through a bit and thoroughly combined.
Add the bamboo shoots, baby corns, leaves, stock and fish sauce.
Bring to boil, then simmer for 10 minutes.
Add the shrimp, let simmer for 2 minutes or until shrimp is pink and cooked.
Serve immediately with rice and cilantro, if you prefer.
- I used Blue Dragon Green Curry Paste in this recipe, but I prefer the this one by Thai Kitchen. It's harder to find where I live.
- To use chicken instead of shrimp, add the chicken in with the onions in Step 1 and cook fully before moving on with the recipe.