Broccoli Cheese Soup
Broccoli Cheese Soup | One of the most comforting soups with an easy ingredient list. Make this tasty, savory soup with frozen broccoli, chicken stock, and a delicious tangy cheesy base.
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 carrots chopped
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock for vegetarian
- 1 500 gram bag frozen broccoli
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 2 ½ cups milk I use 2%
- 2 cups shredded old cheddar cheese
- ½ cup cream I use 18% or more milk for a lighter version
- salt and pepper to taste
Heat the oil over medium heat in a large dutch oven.
Add the onion and carrot and cook for 8-10 minutes, until softened.
Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
Add the butter and let melt. Add the flour and whisk together. Add the stock while whisking smooth. Add broccoli and mustard and bring to boil then turn down to simmer.
Simmer for 15 minutes, or until broccoli is soft. Blend with immersion blender if you want.
Add milk and heat through. Add cheese and then cream. Simmer for 2-3 minutes, or until heated through then check for seasoning. Do not boil. Add salt as needed. I always add pepper.
- I use frozen broccoli. You could use the same amount of fresh broccoli.
- Use vegetable stock for a vegetarian soup.