Turkey Pesto Sandwich | For your next lunch, try these super easy turkey pesto sandwiches on focaccia bread, or swap in your favorite bread like sourdough or multigrain. Fill your sandwich with a creamy pesto mayo sauce, spicy sriracha cheese, crunchy romaine lettuce, roasted turkey breast slices and fresh cut tomatoes.
Jazz up your lunch with this easy turkey pesto sandwich. If your sandwich game has gotten a bit boring, inject some major flavor with a simple pesto mayo.
Simply combining mayo and pesto together to make a creamy and delicious spread for a sandwich makes for the perfect starting point for a tasty lunch or dinner. You can use homemade or store-bought pesto. I love my Oregano Pesto recipe which is also dairy and nut free, but use your favorite pesto.
To serve this turkey pesto sandwich for dinner combine it with a soup or salad. This sandwich would go well with my Minestrone Soup or Southwest Corn Salad or my Tuna Pesto Pasta Salad for double pesto perfection.
Use the table of contents below to jump to any section of this blog post, including information about the ingredients, substitutions you can make, how to store this recipe, step-by-step photos, and a printable recipe card. You can also use the jump to recipe link above to get right to the card.
About the ingredients for this recipe.
See the recipe card below for exact amounts.
- bread - use your favorite sandwich bread here. I love focaccia for sandwiches, especially with pesto mayo - the combination just works for me.
- cheese - use your favorite cheese here too. I like it spicy so I went with a Sriracha cheddar.
- lettuce - romaine, but the smaller inner crunchy leaves
- turkey - I use sandwich sliced roasted turkey, 3 slices per sandwich, folded up
- tomato - fresh tomato is a must have on a sandwich, even if I end up taking it off halfway because it's falling off. I attempt it every time!
- pesto mayo - any mayo and pesto that you like. I have a recipe for oregano pesto if you have a bunch of fresh oregano.
Make the mayo pesto by combining the pesto and mayo in a 2 to 1 ratio. Stir with a spoon and then spread on each slice of bread. I use a sliced open square of focaccia but you can use any bread you prefer. This was also really good on rye bread.
Next, add the cheese, lettuce, turkey slices and the tomato. Season the tomato with salt and pepper. Add the top slice of bread and serve.
I make my sandwich spicy by using a spicy Sriracha cheddar cheese.
Grill the sandwich in a panini press for a turkey pesto panini.
Toast the bread first for a toasted sandwich.
> To make this gluten-free use a gluten free bread.
Make the sandwiches right before you eat them.
Store the pesto mayo in the fridge, tightly covered for a day or two.
EXPERT TIP: Make sure to season your tomato slices for the best flavor. You can dab them with a towel or paper towel first to remove extra moisture and stop the tomato slices from sliding around as much.
More delicious sandwich recipes
Turkey Pesto Sandwich
- 2 slices bread (your favorite, I use focaccia)
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons pesto
- 1 slice cheese
- 1 leaf romaine lettuce
- 3 slices turkey sandwich meat
- 2 slices tomato
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Make the pesto mayo by stirring together the mayo and the pesto.
- Spread the pesto mayo on each side of your bread.
- Add cheese, lettuce, turkey and tomato slices. Season the tomato with salt and pepper.
- Add the other slice of bread to close the sandwich and serve.
Nutritional information is an estimate. Values vary based on products used.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a commission if you decide to purchase through my link, at no extra cost to you.
Pesto is an herby condiment usually made with basil, garlic, lemon, parmesan cheese and olive oil.
To make pesto mayo for a sandwich spread, combine pesto and mayo together in a 2 to 1 ratio.
Save this image to your example board on Pinterest.