Tomato Sauce, Turkey Meatballs
I don't know about your house, but pasta and sauce is something we can all agree on in my house. Same with pizza. And cake. There is always room for these three.
I've cooked this for large groups many times, and I made this recipe for a large group out at the cabin this week. It was the perfect make and take dinner. And so easy to double up the recipe for a big group. I like it over spaghetti or rotini noodles. For the sauce this weekend, I added a half cup of red wine to the onions and cooked it down, just for a little extra flavor. Skip it if you want. I like mine with fresh basil and fresh Parmesan cheese on to top also.
What's your favorite pasta dish?
Pasta with Tomato Sauce & Turkey Meatballs
- ---FOR TOMATO SAUCE---
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- ¼ cup red wine (optional)
- 1 28 oz crushed tomatoes
- 1 28 oz diced tomatoes (or whole canned tomatoes)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Fresh cracker black pepper
- Fresh chopped basil (parsley, for serving)
- Fresh grated Parmesan (for serving)
- 1 lb pasta (cooked to your liking, for serving)
- ---FOR TURKEY MEATBALLS---
- 1 lb. ground turkey (or beef if you prefer)
- ¼ cup bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Few tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper
- ---FOR TOMATO SAUCE:---
- Heat oil and butter on medium.
- Cook onion for about 5 minutes, or until soft. And garlic and red pepper flakes, if using, and cook for one more minute.
- (If using red wine, add now and then cook until most of the moisture is gone. Then continue.)
- Add all tomatoes, the oregano, basil, sugar. salt and pepper. Bring to almost boil, cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, make meatballs, if using. Cook noodles to preference.
- After 30 minutes, stir in parsley and basil.
- Add meatballs to pot. Serve sauce and meatballs on top of noodles with parmesan cheese.
- ---FOR TURKEY MEATBALLS---
- Preheat oven to 400. Line baking sheet with parchment or silicone baking mat.
- Mix together the bread crumbs and spices, then add the milk. Let bread crumbs absorb the milk for a minute or two.
- And ground turkey and mix.
- Scoop, using a 1½ tablespoon scoop, onto a cookie tray.
- Roll into round balls with slightly wet hands.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes, until cooked through with a bit or color on the outside.
If you liked this recipe, check my sidebar to follow me by email, or click below to subscribe to have new recipe posts sent straight to your email address.
Share photos of your creations using my recipes and hashtag them #pipercooks on Instagram or tag me there @checkforpulse I'd love to see them!
Enjoy your day!