Oyster Mushroom Shawarma Fries | Loaded Shawarma Fries are a delicious made-at-home combination of crispy oven-baked fries and spiced Middle Eastern Shawarma toppings. Here we top the fries with shawarma spiced oyster mushrooms, fresh vegetables, and a yogurt tahini sauce. Try my chicken shawarma plate for something similar.
What is Shawarma?
Shawarma is a popular Middle Eastern Street Food, consisting of long roasted spiced meat.
For this recipe I'm using mixed mushrooms including oyster mushrooms for the Shawarma portion of the recipe. If you're rather have meat, try my Baked Chicken Shawarma.
For the toppings, we'll make a fresh vegetable salsa with tomatoes, red onion, herbs and Za'atar seasoning.
And to top it all off, scatter over a bunch of fresh crumbled feta cheese and a creamy, garlicky, yogurt tahini sauce.
What are Shawarma Fries made of?
Shawarma fries are made with a base of french fries and then topped with Shawarma (usually meat, but in this recipe it's mushrooms), and then finished with fresh vegetables and a garlic or yogurt sauce.
See the recipe card for exact amounts.
Make the fresh toppings and the sauce and then set them aside. While the fries bake, cook the mushrooms. Everything will be ready to serve when the fries are done.
First make the fresh salsa by adding the tomato, onion, and herbs in a bowl with olive oil.
Add the lemon juice, Za'atar seasoning, and season with salt and pepper.
Add the sauce ingredients to a mini food processor or mini blender. Blend well.
Add the water slowly and as needed, blending in between additions until you reach a pourable consistency.
Add the mushrooms to a skillet over medium heat. Let them sit still and get color. Cook for 10-12 minutes, stirring halfway.
Add the spices and lemon juice with a touch of oil if needed. Fry spices for a minute or so. Add water and stir until the water is almost all gone.
Top the baked fries with tahini sauce.
Add the mushrooms, salsa, and feta cheese.
Top with more sauce and some fresh herbs.
Tips for making Mushroom Shawarma Fries
What to serve with Shawarma Fries
Want a bit of a different vibe? Try ditching the fries and serving the toppings wrapped up in a Sweet Potato Pita.
Store the mushrooms, salsa, and sauce in the fridge separately for about 4-5 days. French fries don't keep and reheat very well.
Fresh vegetables like cucumbers, pickled turnips, tomato, parsley, and onion are all common toppings for shawarma fries.
Garlic sauce and tahini sauce are both commonly used on top of shawarma fries. Garlic sauce is a garlicky mayonnaise while the tahini sauce is made with yogurt.
Oyster Mushroom Shawarma Fries
- Hand Blender with mini processor attachment
- 1 kg french fries
- Feta cheese
For the Fresh Salsa
For the Yogurt Tahini Sauce
- ½ cup yogurt
- ¼ cup tahini
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (from about half a lemon)
- ¼ cup cold water (as needed)
For the Oyster Mushrooms Shawarma Topping
- 1 lb mixed mushrooms
- ½ red onion (sliced)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon pinch all spice
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- fresh cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoon water (as needed)
- Bake the fries.
For the Mushrooms
- Meanwhile heat a skillet over medium heat and add a tablespoon of cooking oil.
- Add the onions and mushrooms and cook for 10-12 minutes, stirring halfway. Let the mushroom brown and get color.
- Add spices and lemon juice and a touch more oil if needed.
- Cook for a minute, stirring to awaken the spices.
- Add water as needed, to ensure the mushroom mix is coated in a glossy spice mix with no excess moisture.
- While the mushrooms are cooking, crumble the feta cheese.
For the Yogurt Tahini Sauce
- Add everything except the water to a mini food processor. Mix well. Add water as needed until you reach a thinner consistency that you can drizzle on top of the fries. Add the water slowly.
For the Fresh Salsa
- In a medium bowl, mix the tomato, onion, fresh herbs, olive oil, lemon juice, and spices together. Stir.
- Plate a portion of fries. Add some of the sauce, followed by the mushrooms and then the fresh salsa. Add the feta cheese and more sauce. Top with fresh herbs like parsley or cilantro.
Nutritional information is an estimate. Values vary based on products used.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a commission if you decide to purchase through my link, at no extra cost to you.
SHARE THIS RECIPE
Rating, commenting, and sharing my recipes really helps. Thanks for taking the time! Mention @pipercooksblog on Instagram.