Easy Iced Coffee | Learn how to make iced coffee with instant coffee - and in less than five minutes. The quickest way of making iced coffee is to use instant coffee granules, because it dissolves instantly, so there is no waiting time for coffee to brew. With this little hack, you use less hot water, so there is literally no cooling time, just delicious, strong iced instant coffee.
So you want to make yourself and your besties some iced coffee to combat the hellfire temperatures this summer? Me too!
What if you don't have an espresso machine or even a percolator? Instant coffee granules to the rescue! You'll have cafe-style cold drinks in no time (like seriously, five minutes!) and your guests will name you their new favorite barista, I'm sure of it.
Cold coffee is usually made with shots of espresso, cold water, and then milk or cream. But you can switch out the espresso for a strong mix of instant coffee - no special tools are needed besides a kettle or microwave for heating the water. Easy peasy. Making iced coffee with instant coffee takes only a few minutes!
Stay tuned to my website to find out how to make a Greek-style frappe with instant coffee - a beautiful whipped cold coffee that I've been drinking for years.
Here's an overview of the ingredients. See the recipe card below for exact amounts.
- Instant coffee granules - use your favorite brand. You can also use decaf if that's your thing! I prefer Nescafe Instant Coffee.
- Hot water - just a little bit of hot water to dissolve the instant coffee granules
- Ice - a bunch of ice to make your iced coffee dreams come true
- Sweetener (optional) - I don't sweeten my coffee but you can use whatever sweetneer you prefer like, brown sugar, white sugar, simple syrup, maple syrup, honey, or coconut sugar.
- Milk + cream - again, use what you like. I prefer plant based milks and creams but you can definitly use cow's milk in the fat percentage you like. You can skip the cream if you like. For this recipe I like Almond Breeze Unsweetened Coconut Milk and Silk's Oat + Coconut Half and Half.
To make iced coffee with instant coffee, boil a kettle of water and gather all of your ingredients as well as a tall glass or mason jar for serving.
- Add a tablespoon of instant coffee to your glass. Add about the same amount of hot water and stir.
- Add a splash of cold water. This cools everything down and helps ensure all of the ice doesn't melt immediately.
- Add the ice. I fill my glass to the top.
- Finish with milk and cream. Stir and enjoy!
Tip: You can use more cold water and less milk if prefer less milky coffee. Taste test and adjust your drink to your liking.
To enjoy the flavor of coffee without the jitters, use decaffeinated instant coffee granules.
To make this iced coffee dairy-free, use plant milk.
To take this over the top for guests, serve cafe-style iced coffees with a pretty swirl of whipped cream on top.
Low carb - this fits in a low carb/keto lifestyle if you skip the sweetener or use a keto-approved sweetener like erythritol or something similar.
Try flavored creamer for different flavored iced coffee.
Try my kid-friendly Peppermint Hot Chocolate for a caffeine-free cafe-style drink for children.
You'll need a kettle, microwave, or a pot and stovetop to heat the water.
If you accidentally (or purposely) make too much coffee you can pour the extra coffee into an ice cube tray and freeze it. Add the coffee ice cubes to your next iced coffee. As the ice cubes melt they won't water down and dilute your drink - keeping all the great coffee flavor!
EXPERT TIP: Pour the plant milk on top of the coffee and then add a splash of milk. You'll get a really beautiful effect as the coffee and milk swirl together. If you're serving his drink for guests be sure to serve right away and with a straw for each person to stir their drink themselves.
Snacks to serve with Iced Coffee
Iced Coffee with Instant Coffee
- Boil water in a kettle.
- Add instant coffee to the serving glass.1 tablespoon Instant coffee granules
- Add 1-2 tablespooons hot water and stir.
- Add 2-3 tablesppons cold water.
- Add ice
- Fill with milk of choice and splash of cream.⅓ cup milk of choice, 1 tablespoon cream of choice
- Serve with a straw for stirring and drinking.
Nutritional information is an estimate. Values vary based on products used.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a commission if you decide to purchase through my link, at no extra cost to you.
Nescafe states that there is between 50mg to 90mg of caffeine per serving (2g) of their instant coffee granules.
Yes, you can, it just takes a bit longer to dissolve.
Easy - use this recipe to make an iced coffee with instant coffee!
The best way to cool hot coffee is by adding cold water or shaking your coffee with ice as you would a cocktail. Cooling coffee in the freezer takes longer. Or simply make your drink with instant coffee.
Save this image to your summer drinks board on Pinterest.