Baked Flour Tortilla Chips | Flour tortillas are cut into triangles and baked in the oven until super crispy. Try my 3 flavor ideas or just bake the chips seasoned with salt and pepper. Try this with whole wheat tortillas!
Homemade baked flour tortilla chips are such a quick and easy appetizer or snack, and they happen to make fantastic scoops for my Quinoa Ground Turkey Skillet, or this Sausage Cheese Dip. Try them in homemade nachos or as guacamole spoons!
These healthy tortilla chips only take a few minutes to prep and then less than 15 minutes in the oven. Homemade baked tortilla chips are great because:
- they are fresh!
- you can customize the flavor with whatever spices are your favorite. You can even make them a sweet treat with cinnamon and sugar.
- these are baked with whole wheat tortillas and using minimal oil making them a bit more nutritionally beneficial. You can control the amount of salt and oil, making it easier to control calories and sodium content.
I've tested these with just salt and pepper and with three different spices mixes.
Homemade Baked Tortilla chip seasoning ideas:
- oil, salt, and pepper
- cinnamon and sugar
- nutritional yeast + spices
- Gochugaru (Korean red pepper flakes) + sesame seeds
See the recipe card for exact amounts.
Brush oil on the tortilla. Add your choice of seasoning.
Cut the tortilla in half and then stack the pieces.
Cut the two stacked pieces in half again to yield 4 quarters. Stack them.
Cut the stacked tortillas in half again, yielding 8 triangles.
Place the tortilla triangles on a baking sheet.
Bake for 12-14 minutes, flipping once. The tortilla chips will be browned and crispy. They will get crispier as they sit at room temperature.
Serve the tortilla chips with your favorite sauce, like my Creamy Avocado Sauce.
Tips for making baked tortilla chips
What to serve with Baked Flour Tortilla Chips
These chips are great on their own for snacking but I believe everything is amplified with a sauce! I love these chips with my Creamy Avocado Sauce shown in the photos. They would be perfect with Guacamole, Whipped Ricotta Dip, my Pineapple and Mango Salsa, or for scooping my Beer Cheese Sauce.
I store my chips either in a bowl or a leftover plastic bag, loosely closed. The chips last for a few days.
Yes, you can use whichever tortilla you prefer, and I think white tortillas would get even crispier. You can also bake corn tortillas.
Baked Flour Tortilla Chips
- 4 large flour tortillas
- 1 tablespoon oil
- salt and pepper (to taste)
Cinnamon and Sugar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (optional)
- Mix together any of the optional seasoning mixes, or use salt and pepper.
- Brush each side of the tortilla with oil and then sprinkle each side with salt and pepper or your choice of seasoning mix. Spread the seasoning mix evenly on the tortilla using your hands or a pastry brush.
- Cut the tortilla in half to get 2 pieces and then stack the halves. Cut them in half to get 4 pieces. Repeat again to get 8 triangles from each tortilla. Spread evenly on the lined baking sheet.
- Bake for about 12-14 minutes, until crispy, flipping halfway.
Nutritional information is an estimate. Values vary based on products used.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a commission if you decide to purchase through my link, at no extra cost to you.
This post was originally posted on August 22, 2016.
SHARE THIS RECIPE
Rating, commenting, and sharing my recipes really helps. Thanks for taking the time! Mention @pipercooksblog on Instagram.
A photo from the original blog post.