French Fries with Curry Sauce | These easy Curry Fries are my go-to, quick side dish for nights when I haven't planned dinner ahead of time. Just toss fries in the oven, make the curry sauce while the fries bake, and then serve with a side of vegetables. You can also add chicken to the curry sauce.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a commission if you decide to purchase through my link, at no extra cost to you.
You know those days when all of a sudden it's like 4:30 or 5:00 pm and you've been busy doing stuff all day and definitely not just watching Netflix or something?
And you look at your phone or clock and then you kind of do a double take?
And you're like, excuse me? Rude. How DID IT GET TO 5:00 PM? And also what the heck's for dinner?
On those days, make this. It's so easy. And tastes so good. You can add chicken if you want, or maybe some green peas.
Either way, bake some fries. While the oven heats and the fries bake, you can make this simple sauce.
Then absolutely drown your fries in it.
Ingredients you need
- your favorite french fries (I like homemade best but sometimes I have fries in the freezer and don't have potatoes, so storebought works just fine!)
- curry powder
- soy sauce (yes, actually)
- canned coconut milk
- I like onion and garlic for a base flavor
- I use red pepper flakes for some spice (I like sriracha on top also! I LOVE spice!)
- I don't really have any substitution ideas other than trying table cream or coffee cream instead of the coconut cream. I haven't tried that - I love the coconut milk here. I use canned thick and creamy coconut milk.
- You can add in chicken, it makes for a filling sauce! (Add cubed chicken in with the onions and cook fully before moving on with the recipe)
- Add some vegetables at the end if you like. Peas would be good I think.
Let's Make Curry Sauce for french fries
Bake your choice of french fries. While the oven preheats and then the fries bake, we'll make the sauce. The sauce can then simmer until the fries and any other side dishes are ready.
Heat a frying pan over medium heat. Add the coconut oil and then the diced onion. (Add chicken here if you want to!) Cook 5-6 minutes, until the onions are starting to soften and then add the garlic. I like to only cook the garlic for 20-30 seconds or so.
Next, add the red pepper flakes, soy sauce, and curry powder. Also, add a big scoop of the coconut cream at the top of the can. Whisk everything together and heat for a minute or so until it's all well combined and the curry powder gets cooked a bit. Add the rest of the coconut milk, whisk until smooth and bring to a simmer. Simmer the sauce for about 10 minutes or longer until the fries are done. The sauce will reduce in volume and thicken.
Plate the baked french fries and ladle the curry sauce over top.
Drizzle with some plain yogurt and sprinkle some cilantro.
Tips and Tricks
I like to cook the curry powder a bit with a small amount of coconut milk. I think it tastes better like this.
Not really. I only use a pinch of red pepper flakes. You can skip it or add more if you like.
More Loaded French Fry Recipes
French Fries with Curry Sauce
- Heat pan over medium. Add coconut oil. Fry onions until soft and translucent. Add garlic and stir around for about 30 seconds.
- Add red chili flakes, curry powder, and soy sauce. Add about ¼ cup (a couple of large spoonfuls) of the coconut milk and fry everything together. Add the rest of the coconut milk and bring to boil, and then simmer for about ten minutes. Serve over French fries.
- Add chicken in with the onions if you want this to be a meat dish.
Nutritional information is an estimate. Values vary based on products used.Read our full Nutrition Disclaimer.