Egg Salad Sandwich Spread – Try this recipe for egg salad sandwich spread, using Greek yogurt in place of some of the mayonnaise and a bit of chopped up celery for a little crunch.
With Easter just around the corner, here's a great recipe for using up those extra hard boiled eggs. I'll also tell you how I make eggs to get the perfect hard boiled egg. This process never fails me.
I like to use some Greek yogurt in this recipe in place of some of the mayo, and in a lot of my recipes, just because I love its tangy flavor so much. Also, and I think I said this in my Loaded Caramelized Onion Dip recipe, but mayo just feels kind of oily and slippery to me and I prefer to cut it with some yogurt to get rid of that texture. Even my homemade mayonnaise reminds of that.
(Am I the only weirdo that feels this way? Actually, don't tell me.)
Anyhooo... this Egg Salad recipe is really good and if you want to use all mayo, you should go for it - eat what you like. Either way you'll probably love this. And make some of my Sweet Potato Pita Breads (seen in the photos here) to go with it.
I like to garnish mine with pickled red onions. Since visiting Mexico, I like to garnish everything with pickled red onions. I also like lettuce with mine.
How to Make Egg Salad Sandwich Spread
My no fail method for making perfect hard boiled eggs is so simple. I can't remember where I learned it but it's awesome. I put as many eggs as I need in a pot (6 for this recipe) and then cover them by an inch or so with water.
Bring the water to a boil, put the lid on, turn the heat off and leave it alone for ten minutes.
Then place the eggs in a bowl of ice water for five minutes. Then peel them. They should be perfect. And easy to peel.
To make this egg salad, I grate the eggs on a cheese grater. Then I mix everything else in a bowl and gently fold the eggs in, so I don't crush them.
Egg Salad Sandwich Spread
- 6 large eggs
- 1 celery stalk (finely diced)
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogourt
- 2 tablespoon mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- diced pickled red onion (for garnish)
- pita or bread (to serve)
- lettuce (to serve)
- Place the eggs in a pot and cover them by an inch or so with cold water. Place over high heat and bring to a boil. Once it comes to a boil, turn the heat off, place a lid on the pan and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Remove eggs from the hot water, and place in a boil of iced water. Let sit for 5 minutes. Peel.
- Grate the eggs on a box grater or chop them with a knife.
- In a large bowl, mix together the mayo, Greek yogurt, celery, mustard, salt and pepper. Taste for seasoning.
- Gently fold in the shredded/chopped egg.
- To serve, add lettuce to your bread or pita, then add the egg salad. Garnish with pickled red onions.
Nutritional information is an estimate. Values vary based on products used.
Did you make this recipe? Let me know!