Pizza Fries | A cross between deluxe and pepperoni pizza fries, this easy homemade pizza fries recipe takes only about 5 minutes longer than making a bag of frozen French fries. Top baked fries with shredded mozzarella cheese and your favorite pizza sauce and toppings like pepperoni, bell peppers, red onion, and black olives. Perfect for a game day or a birthday party dinner.
Pizza fries are the perfect delicious combination of two comfort food classics - pizza and french fries. I love both, but combine them? I'm all over it. As a Canadian girl, you know I love a loaded french fries recipe. We are the home of Poutine after all.
If you like these Pizza Fries, you'll want to try my other loaded french fry recipes like my Palak Paneer Loaded Fries, My Loaded Chili Fries, Greek Fries with Tzatziki, loaded Taco Fries, my Fries with pub-style Curry sauce, and my Garlic Parmesan fries. I can't get enough loaded fries so this category will just keep expanding.
Use the table of contents below to jump to any section of this blog post. You can also use the jump to recipe link above to get right to the recipe card.
What are pizza fries?
Pizza fries are a dish consisting of baked french fries covered in pizza sauce, pizza toppings, and shredded mozzarella cheese and then baked again until everything is hot and the cheese is melty.
What can you put on pizza fries?
You can add any pizza topping you would use on pizza on pizza fries. For this recipe, I used my own pizza sauce because I'm super particular about pizza. For toppings, I used mini pepperoni slices, diced red onion, diced mixed bell peppers, and sliced black olives for a kind of deluxe pizza vibe (without the sausage).
Who invented pizza fries?
I'll start off by saying that poutine - french fries with cheese curds and gravy on top - were invented by a Canadian, possibly in 1957. A likely candidate for the first poutine served was a restaurant called Le Roy Jucep, located in Drummondville, Quebec, which registered a trademark for the poutine recipe claiming the invention.
Pizza fries came along 25-30 years later or so, made by a pizzeria owner, who first tried out the combo on their customers. I couldn't find much more information than that.
I'm a Canadian gal so I'll always claim loaded fries for us Canadians, so let's get into the recipe.
Ingredients for Pizza Fries
About the ingredients for this recipe. See the recipe card below for exact amounts.
- the fries: I use a bag of frozen fries for this recipe. Use your favorite brand and type or make homemade baked fries. A 1 kg bag makes about 4 servings of pizza fries.
- the sauce: You can use any pizza sauce that you like. I prefer to use my own 5-minute Pizza Sauce recipe.
- the toppings: You can use whatever pizza toppings you like the best. I went for deluxe pizza vibes with pepperoni, diced red onion, diced bell pepper, and sliced black olives. You could make pizza fries with just pepperoni, just vegetables, or even three cheese.
How to make a Pizza Fries Bar for Parties
To make pizza fries for a party, set up bowls of different ingredients such as:
- pizza sauce
- alfredo sauce
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- shredded provolone cheese
- pepperoni, sausage, bacon, shredded chicken, prosciutto
- diced tomatoes, diced onion, diced bell peppers, chopped mushrooms, jalapeno peppers
Bake the french fries and then transfer each pile of baked fries to parchment paper, shaping a little plate or bowl shape by crumpling the edges of the parchment paper to keep the fries in.
Let each guest choose their own sauce, cheese, and toppings and add it to their pile of fries.
For kids, it's a good idea to move the parchment paper of fries off the hot baking sheet, let them top their fries and then move the fries back to the baking sheet for the second bake.
Once all fries are topped, add two to three servings to each baking sheet, or however many fit. Bake the fries again for 5-10 minutes or until the cheese melts. Transfer each parchment-papered pile of fries to a plate to serve.
Prep Tips - while the fries are baking
- shred the cheese
- chop any vegetables like bell peppers, onions, or tomatoes.
To make this recipe, first start by baking your french fries of choice, according to the package directions, minus about two minutes, so the ends don't over crisp.
Once the fries are baked, move them into a pile for each serving you're making. You can place parchment paper down first to make them easier to move after baking.
Add your favorite pizza sauce. I used about a quarter cup for a large serving.
Add the shredded mozzarella cheese.
Place mini pepperoni slices all over the cheese.
Add any other toppings you like. I used mixed diced bell peppers, diced red onion, and sliced black olives.
Bake the fries for another 5-10 minutes, until the toppings are hot and the cheese is melty. You can see how the ends of the fries got a bit crispier in this photo.
How to serve Pizza Fries
To serve my pizza fries, I moved the fries to a plate, using a large flat spatula (turner). I scattered sliced green onions on top of the finished fries and added a small bowl of the Best Ever Homemade Ranch Dressing on the side, for dipping.
RECIPE TIP: Prep everything while the fries bake. Bake each pile of fries on a piece of parchment paper to make serving easier. You should be able to fit 2-3 piles of fries on each baking sheet.
✔ This recipe can be made vegetarian by skipping the pepperoni.
> To make this vegan, use a vegan cheese replacement product and skip the pepperoni.
> Use different toppings, whatever toppings you like on pizza.
> Use different cheeses like provolone. Top with shredded parmesan.
> Use different fries. You could try crinkle fries, homemade fries, waffle fries, or sweet potato fries.
I recommend making these pizza fries as needed as reheating fries can dry them out and make the ends overly crisp.
All of the toppings can be prepped a few days ahead and kept in the fridge until needed in covered containers.
Then just bake fries as needed, top them with the prepped pizza ingredients and bake them again to melt the cheese.
More recipes with
- Palak Paneer Loaded Fries
- Loaded Chili Fries
- Greek Fries with Tzatziki
- Loaded Taco Fries
- Fries with pub-style Curry sauce
- Garlic Parmesan fries
Tips + FAQs
To make pizza fries, add pizza sauce, pizza toppings, and shredded mozzarella cheese to baked fries. Bake them 5-10 minutes longer to heat the toppings and melt the cheese. You can use whatever your favorite pizza toppings are.
- 1 kg bag frozen french fries
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Pizza Toppings such as mini pepperoni slices, diced bell peppers, diced red onion, sliced black olives.
- sliced green onions (optional)
- Ranch Dressing (optional)
- Cook the fries: Bake the french fries according to the package directions, minus about two minutes so that the ends of the fries don't get overly crisp during the second bake.
- Top the fries: Move the fries into a pile for each serving. You can place each serving on parchment paper to make it easier to move after the second bake. Add pizza sauce, cheese, and then the toppings.
- Second bake: Bake the fries again for 5-10 minutes, or until the toppings are hot and the cheese is melty.
- Serve the fries: Move the fries to a plate, and scatter with the sliced green onions, if using. Serve with ranch dressing on the side, if using.
Nutritional information is an estimate. Values vary based on products used.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a commission if you decide to purchase through my link, at no extra cost to you.
SHARE THIS RECIPE
Rating, commenting, and sharing my recipes really helps. Thanks for taking the time! Mention @pipercooksblog on Instagram.
Save this image to your Easy Dinner board on Pinterest.