Coconut Jasmine Rice - Easy side dish of jasmine rice cooked in coconut milk and topped with toasted coconut - perfect with Thai curry dishes.
Here is a quick and easy way to prepare savory coconut rice, and it only takes a few more minutes than regular steamed rice. It's the perfect little side dish for a weeknight. I love this dish with lime chicken or lime and mint (mojito!) chicken, but especially with a really spicy curry.
To toast the coconut, just add it to a hot nonstick pan and heat, tossing or stirring until it's all golden brown. Remove to a plate as soon as it's done to stop cooking. I prefer this method over toasting it in the oven because I always forget it in the oven.
Every time I'm extra sure of myself and I think "Oh, I don't need a timer, it's just a few minutes.." and every time I need a timer. The stovetop is the way to go.
How To Make Coconut Jasmine Rice
Start with toasting the coconut. As I said, I like doing this on the stovetop. Just heat the coconut until it's golden, stirring or shaking the pan often. Make sure to remove the coconut to a plate as soon as it's done so it stops cooking.
In the pot that you're going to cook your rice in, melt the butter then add the sugar and the rice. Stir to coat the rice. Add the liquid and then bring it to boil. put the lid on, then simmer until cooked.
When it's done, remove the pot from the heat and let sit for 10 minutes.
To serve, just fluff the rice with a fork. I top mine with the toasted coconut, and some cilantro and lime juice to freshen it up a bit.
Print the recipe below.
Coconut Jasmine Rice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 cups jasmine rice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 ½ cups water
- ¼ cup shredded coconut (I prefer unsweetened)
- cilantro or lime for serving (optional)
- Melt butter over medium high heat. Add brown sugar, then rice. Cook rice, stirring, for a minute or two, until covered in butter and sugar has melted.
- Turn heat to high and add coconut milk and water. Bring to boil, put lid on a simmer for 18-20 minutes or so.
- Removed from heat and let sit for 10 minutes. (Don't peek!)
- Toast coconut while you wait, over medium high in a non stick pan, until golden brown (only a few minutes).
- Fluff rice and serve with coconut on top. Add cilantro and a small squeeze of lime juice if you like.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a commission if you decide to purchase through my link, at no extra cost to you.
Hi! I'm Jacqueline. I create the recipes here, photograph, and share them with you so you can feed your family delicious, fresh food.
I love to cook, read, sway in my hammock, take photos, and renovate my cabin. I drink coffee and red wine and I'm just as happy at my grill as I am with a whisk and mixing bowl.