The popular Tiktok Toast, which is a yogurt custard toast, is made even better with rich dark chocolate and creamy peanut butter. This toast is both crunchy and soft and custardy and loaded with decadent flavors of dark chocolate and smooth peanut butter.
I don't usually hop on TikTok trends, but toast is always worth it. And I think we can all agree that chocolate - rich dark chocolate - combined with peanut butter is a power combo guaranteed to kick almost any recipe up a notch.
So I'm sure you've heard of Tiktok, a social media platform full of short videos on anything from dance routines to dog videos to food videos. But if you haven't heard of the TikTok recipe for custard toast, let me enlighten you.
Tiktok toast is bread that's covered in a Greek yogurt custard and then baked to crispy custardy goodness. It's kind of like a weird spin on french toast. And if you're saying to yourself, uh no I won't be eating yogurt toast today, just try it once. It's a trend for a reason.
The egg and yogurt mix that you spread on the bread truly turns into a smooth custard, surrounded by crispy crunchy toast. For my TikTok inspired custard toast, I went a step further and in a direction I haven't seen yet. There's a lot of plain custard toast out there and custard toast with berries, but I wanted to go kind of over the top.
So I mixed dark cocoa powder into the yogurt custard and added a peanut butter swirl. Once that's baked, I top it with pools of hot peanut butter and drizzly melted chocolate. This might take my TikTok toast recipe out of breakfast territory and into dessert territory but I'm okay with having this for dessert. And lunch and dinner and snack…
See below how to make it, including a video tutorial, full of excessive peanut butter pouring.
About the ingredients for this recipe. See the recipe card below for exact amounts.
- Bread - I wouldn't use a bread that's too soft like a seeded, whole wheat or multigrain type of bread. I think with the custard it would be too soft. Rye bread toasts up nicely, so would sourdough. The yogurt amount covers 3 pieces of bread for me.
- Egg, yogurt, and maple syrup - I use thick Greek yogurt. These ingredients mixed together are what make the custard part of the toast.
- Cocoa powder - I use dark cocoa powder, you can use regular cocoa powder if you prefer.
- Peanut Butter - Use your favorite peanut butter. I use a natural peanut butter because I prefer the taste.
- Chocolate Chips - I use these just for drizzling so you could skip it if you want to. Use whatever you have on hand.
- warm some peanut butter in the microwave
- melt chocolate chips in the microwave
To start the toast, preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C).
Step 1. Make the chocolate custard. To make the custard, mix together one egg, one tablespoon of maple syrup, and 3 tablespoons of plain Greek yogurt. Then add in the dark cocoa and whisk everything well.
Step 2. Prepare the bread. To prepare the bread for the custard, press down on the soft centers of the bread. You can do this with the back of a spoon or just with your fingers.
Once you have a little divot in your bread slices, divide the chocolate yogurt custard mix between the slices. Keep the custard to the inside of the bread.
Step 3. Add a peanut butter swirl. To make the peanut butter easier to drop onto the custard and swirl, melt it in the microwave for about 30 seconds or so to make it a little runny.
Drop spoonfuls of peanut butter randomly onto the chocolate custard. Using a skewer, toothpick, or the pointy end of a steak knife, gently swirl through the chocolate and peanut butter to slightly mix them together. Just skim the surface so that you don't rip through the bread.
Step 4. Bake the bread. Put the baking sheet onto the middle rack of the oven and bake for 8-12 minutes, until the custard is set and isn't jiggly anymore. This time will vary based on your oven, bread size, egg size, etc. Just bake until the custard is set. If you shake the baking sheet, the custard shouldn't jiggle.
Step 5. Garnish and Serve. You can serve the toast as is, or sprinkle it with a bit of powdered sugar. Or you can take it over the top and melt some peanut butter and chocolate.
Melt a tablespoon or two of peanut butter in the microwave for about 20-30 seconds. Melt about a tablespoon of chocolate chips in the microwave for about 30-60 seconds - in 20-second intervals, stirring in between, until the chocolate is liquid.
Pour the peanut butter and the chocolate onto the toast and serve while warm.
RECIPE TIP: Baking time will vary based on your oven, bread size, and egg size. Start watching the toast around 8 minutes into cook time. The toast is done when the custard is set.
✔ This recipe is vegetarian
> Use gluten-free bread if needed.
> Skip the cocoa if you want plain custard toast.
More toast recipes
TikTok toast is a toast recipe that is trending on TikTok. Bread is topped with a quick custard hack of an egg, yogurt, and maple syrup and then baked in the oven. Toppings vary must mostly include berries.
To make TikTok toast you flatten the center of a bread slice so it holds the custard, fill it with the custard and bake it in the oven until the custard is set. Toppings vary.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Custard Toast
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Mix the egg with maple syrup and Greek yogurt. Add dark cocoa powder and mix well with a whisk.
- Place the slices of bread on a baking sheet. Press down the center with your fingers or the back of a spoon.
- Divide the yogurt mixture between the three slices of bread, spreading the mix almost to the edges of the bread.
- Melt the peanut butter in the microwave for about 30 seconds. Drop random spoonfuls of melted peanut butter on the chocolate custard. Use a skewer, toothpick, or the pointy end of a steak knife to run swirls through the peanut butter and chocolate.
- Bake the bread for 8-12 minutes, depending on the size of your bread slices. Smaller slices will have more custard on them and will take closer to 12 minutes to cook. The custard shouldn't be jiggly when you take it out.
- Remove from the oven and serve with a drizzle of peanut butter and melted chocolate.
Nutritional information is an estimate. Values vary based on products used.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a commission if you decide to purchase through my link, at no extra cost to you.
SHARE THIS RECIPE
Rating, commenting, and sharing my recipes really helps. Thanks for taking the time! Mention @pipercooksblog on Instagram.
Save this image to your Breakfast or Brunch board on Pinterest.