Chickpea Salad Sandwich Filling | Easy, tasty sandwich spread with only 4 ingredients needed for this fantastic lunch recipe. No tools or appliances needed, just mash the chickpeas with a fork to the texture you like. Then add mayo, mustard, and lemon juice. Season and stuff into the bread of your choice.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Ok, it's major sandwich time. Or wrap time I guess. Pita time! Honestly whatever you stuff this chickpea salad sandwich filling into will be amazing. Why?
- no tuna smell! (the idea is that this can stand in for tuna or egg salad type spreads when used in a vegan diet, we love chickpeas and meatless meals so we eat this all the time!)
- simple + tasty
Ingredients you need
- canned chickpeas
- mayonnaise - whatever kind you like, I like it homemade!
- yellow mustard - yep the kind you use for hotdogs
- lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- the bread, pita or wrap of your choice!
- I always put mustard in my egg salad so I add it here too. Try it and see if the tanginess is your thing too.
- Try adding in some celery or sunflower seeds for crunch
- Add some fresh herbs like dill or parsley
- To keep this recipe vegan, use a Vegan Mayo.
Let's Make Chickpea Sandwiches
All you need is a fork a bowl to make this recipe.
Drain and rinse the chickpeas and place them in the bowl. Mash them up with a fork. I like to mash mine about ¾ of the way, leaving some large chickpeas for texture. (I like my guac that way too!)
Now just add in the mayo, mustard, and lemon juice. Taste and season with salt and pepper, to your liking.
Spread the filling onto bread or pitas and add lettuce or tomato if you like.
Tips and Tricks
The best trick for this recipe is that it doesn't require appliances like a food processor. A simple fork will mash chickpeas, just take your time.
Store this sandwich filling in the fridge in an airtight container and use within a week or so.
I would not recommend freezing this recipe.
Chickpea Salad Sandwich Filling
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- pita or bread (for serving)
- Place chickpeas in a bowl and mash about ¾ of them with a fork. We like to keep some whole for texture, but you can mash them all if you like.
- Add mayo, mustard, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Mix.
- Use immediately or refrigerate until needed.
Nutritional information is an estimate. Values vary based on products used.