Chickpea Salad Sandwich Filling | Easy, tasty sandwich spread with only 4 ingredients needed for this fantastic lunch recipe. No tools or appliances needed, just mash the chickpeas with a fork to the texture you like. Then add mayo, mustard, and lemon juice. Season and stuff into the bread of your choice. Great for meal-prepping.
Ok, it's major sandwich time. Or wrap time I guess. Pita time! Try my Sweet Potato Pitas, they're delish! Honestly whatever you stuff this chickpea salad sandwich filling into will be amazing. Why?
Because chickpea salad sandwich spread:
- makes a filling and satisfying lunch or dinner
- chickpeas are high in protein and a great source of fiber
- no tuna smell! I'm not a fan of a canned tuna aroma. The idea is that this chickpea spread can stand in for tuna or egg salad type spreads when used in a vegan diet. Also called "chickpea tuna".
- simple to make + so tasty
- so customizable: add your favorite flavors and sandwich fillings or try my Avocado Chickpea Salad Sandwich filling for a super green, super delicious twist!
Should you rinse canned chickpeas?
Yes, canned chickpeas should be rinsed when used in recipes like sandwich spreads and salads. If you're cooking chickpeas further in recipes like soups or stews, rinsing isn't necessary. Rinsing chickpeas helps lower the starch and sodium and gets rid of the canned metallic taste the brine, also called aquafaba, can sometimes have.
I recommend rinsing your canned chickpeas for this Chickpea Salad Sandwich Filling recipe or using chickpeas you've cooked yourself from dry chickpeas. Try my Easy No Soak Instant Pot Method for Chickpeas.
Let's Make Chickpea Sandwiches
All you need is a fork and a bowl to make this recipe.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas and place them in the bowl. Mash them up with a fork. I like to mash mine about ¾ of the way, leaving some large chickpeas for texture. (I like my guac that way too!)
- Add the mayo, mustard, and lemon juice. Taste and season with salt and pepper, to your liking. It's ready!
- Spread the filling onto bread or pitas and add lettuce or tomato if you like.
Tips for making chickpea salad sandwich spreads
What to serve with Chickpea Salad Sandwiches
For a Green Goddess variation on this recipe, try my Avocado Chickpea Salad.
Store leftover chickpea salad in a container with a lid in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.
Store this sandwich filling in the fridge in an airtight container and use within 3-4 days. I would not recommend freezing this recipe because mayo usually doesn't freeze well.
Yes! Add hot sauce, gochugaru, cayenne, chopped jalapenos, or red pepper flakes to make this salad spread spicy.
Chickpea salad sandwich filling has many variation options, such as adding fresh sliced or mashed avocado, sliced roasted red peppers, or chopped sun-dried tomatoes. You can also experiment with different seasonings and spices to create your own unique flavor.
Chickpea Salad Sandwich Filling
- 1 ½ cups chickpeas (from a 15 oz can, drained and rinsed)
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- pita or bread (for serving)
- Place chickpeas in a bowl and mash about ¾ of them with a fork. We like to keep some whole for texture, but you can mash them all if you like.
- Add mayo, mustard, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Mix.
- Use immediately or refrigerate until needed.
Nutritional information is an estimate. Values vary based on products used.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a commission if you decide to purchase through my link, at no extra cost to you.
SHARE THIS RECIPE
Rating, commenting, and sharing my recipes really helps. Thanks for taking the time! Mention @pipercooksblog on Instagram.