Butternut Squash + Bean Burgers | Make these vegetarian patties with roasted butternut squash, beans, vegetables and spices for a healthy dinner.
Finishing up with my Butternut Squash theme, today's recipe is for Butternut Squash & Bean Burgers. If you have the squash in your fridge from the How to Roast Butternut Squash post, then this recipe comes together pretty quickly. It's a really flavorful vegetarian burger option. We make them and freeze them and then they are available for my vegetarian daughter to defrost any time the rest of us are having turkey burgers (or anything else not vegetarian).
With your squash pre-cooked, all that's left to do is quickly fry up the onion, celery, and garlic to soften them up a bit, and then mix everything together. I like to form turkey burgers and veggie burgers with wet hands. I find it so much easier than having the mixture stick to me. After the patties are formed, pan-fry them until cooked, and then either serve them or freeze them for another time.
How to Make Butternut Squash + Bean Burgers
Here's a video showing the entire process.
I hope you've enjoyed my butternut squash posts and that it's inspired you to cook some up. Check out some interesting nutritional information for butternut squash, and find the printable recipe below.
And stay tuned for a summer-inspired treat!
Butternut Squash Health Benefits
Butternut Squash is a very good source of Vitamin A, which is good for vision, and skin health. It's also a good source of Vitamin C, fiber, potassium and magnesium.
Butternut Squash and Bean Burgers
- ½ butternut squash (roasted)
- 1 19oz can beans ( (white kidney, or your choice))
- ½ onion (finely diced)
- 1 stick celery (finely diced)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cups quick oats
- 1 ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- Sauté the onion and celery for 3 to 5 minutes, or until softened, then add garlic, cook for additional 30-60 seconds, then remove from heat and set aside to let cool.
- Mash beans and butternut squash together.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix to combine.
- Using wet hands form into 6 patties.
- Fry in an oiled non-stick skillet for about 5-7 minutes per side, until done.