Quinoa Ground Turkey Skillet
This Quinoa Ground Turkey Skillet is such a great dinner dish. It came about one night when I wanted something kind of like chili, but not chili and also had some quinoa I wanted to use up. We ate this with my homemade tortillas and it was fantastic.
To make this dish, I first sautéed some onions until soft and then browned some ground turkey. You could easily substitute ground beef here if you prefer. I also added some garlic and a few diced bell peppers (these are just the colors I had on hand, use whichever ones you have or like), and then I added in half a can of pickled jalapenos. I’m sure I bought them by accident one time, thinking they were diced green chilies, but they worked well in this recipe. You could use some pre-diced green chilies or dice up a fresh jalapeno, or leave it out altogether if you prefer just a little bit of heat from the chili powder.
I added black beans to bulk it up a bit and some corn for a bit of texture. (For a vegetarian dish, I would double up the beans in place of the turkey.) And finally, I also cooked some quinoa while this was simmering and added that to it when plating. I garnished mine with diced avocado, shredded cheese and some sour cream to balance the heat. And I like to serve it with my baked tortilla chips, check my recipe here. If you haven’t tried making your own yet, do it! So easy and so good!
This dinner is a nice weeknight option as well, with minimal chopping. I hope you enjoy it!
Quinoa Ground Turkey Skillet – printable
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ 7 oz can of pickled jalapeno, diced, optional (adds a bit of heat. Could also use pre diced green chilies, or diced fresh jalapeno)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 (14 oz) can corn, drained
- 1 (19 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked
- Optional: diced avocado, shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, for serving
- Sauté onion in oil, over medium about 4-5 minutes.
- Add turkey, cook until brown, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add peppers, jalapenos and garlic, cook about 3 minutes.
- Add corn, beans, tomatoes and spices. Add water if needed. Bring to boil, then lower heat and simmer about 25 minutes.
- Add quinoa and serve.
- Garnish with diced avocado, shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream, if desired.
If you liked this recipe, check my sidebar to follow me by email, or click below to subscribe to have new recipe posts sent straight to your email address.
Share photos of your creations using my recipes and hashtag them #pipercooks on Instagram or tag me there @checkforpulse I’d love to see them!
Enjoy your day!